Am i using Dual Channel?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by forcer, May 14, 2009.

1. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

I recently built a computer and didnt really think about Dual Channel Memory mode when setting it up... i checked the diagram and i've confused myself with it.

my memory is installed in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2

am i running in dual channel or not? (diagram is attached..)

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have recently been wondering that as well.

I have 8GB of RAM installed, never did any settings, assumed it was automatic.

3. assclown

assclown OSNN Citizen Man

That is interesting that you bring this up. I assumed it was auto as well. I know when i made the move to Dual Channel, my Vista performance score for memory dropped by a bit. I found that some motherboards have a memory/FSB ratoio setting. If your FSB runs 533MHz, then set the ratio 3:4 to boost your RAM MHz. If it is 400MHz FSB, set it 1:1 so each channel of RAM will run at 400MHz, equalling 800MHz. The dual channel as far as i can conclude from my research is all auto, as each stick is handled independantly, giving access to each simotaneously.

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

For dual channel you should use A1, B1

If you have all 4 bays filled you will be using dual channel.

5. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

yeah ^^

u can check if its working with cpu-z

6. dz2k

dz2k OSNN Junior Addict

i agree to d/l the free program cpu-z. i have 8gb of memory also and when you open it..go to the "memory" tab and look for "dual." i have a 1066fsb(qx6700 quad) and have my memory running at 333mhz. are you saying my memory would be better at 266mhz timings instead?

7. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Yea I will have to look with that app, cause I have quad cores, and 1066 ram, and this and that and it's confusing. I will see what I can figure out.

8. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks for the posts. i thought i was running in single mode and cpu-z confirmed this.

I will switch it over later to see if there is any performance increase.

what are the advantages?

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

128bit wide data requests - you double your data access speed which can result in significant performance gains in data hungry situations such as gaming or video production and data compression.