Alert from Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by damnyank, Sep 26, 2002.

1. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Why am I not surprised???

Alert: HP Pavilion and Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incompatibility

Alert: Windows Update has detected that your computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion desktop or Compaq Presario desktop PC with Windows XP pre-installed. After you install Windows XP Service Pack 1, you might encounter an issue with the PC System Recovery utility. If you use this utility to perform a non-destructive system recovery, you might be unable to start your computer. Recovering from this error requires a full destructive system recovery, which results in the loss of all user data. Hewlett-Packard will release an update to the PC System Recovery utility soon. When you install that update, this alert will no longer appear in Windows Update. Please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q329450 for additional information.

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

PC System Recovery a HP application?

3. damnyank

Yep - part of HP Tools - I never used it - but from what I can figure out - it is part of the "hidden partition" recovery thingy!

4. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I guess this is what you're referring to:

Q329450

5. damnyank

Yes, that's the KB listed in the last line of my initial post!;)

6. chooch

chooch Guest

I have an HP Pavillion winth Win XP Home pre installed and SP 1 and don't see this message in windows update or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, can someone tell me exactly were this message would be displayed?

7. damnyank

It comes up as a Critical Update when you run windows update from the windows update page (ie Scan for updates).

8. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Let's hope HP and Compaq gets their Corporate A$$es in gear and fixes this quickly or they are going to have many unhappy customers.

9. jak deth

jak deth Guest

heh, proprietary systems, why am I not surprised even a tiny bit. I have ranted about the special builds M$ has done for proprietary systems since W95. This is merely another example why I won't buy a Compaq, Dell, HP, Packerd-Bell (if they were still around), IBM, etc., etc.

Take a hint and build a clone.

:p :rolleyes: :D :eek: :) :p

10. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

No no no not a clone. Something better. :D

11. harley1730

harley1730 Guest

I had this problem twice, before sp1 was released. Both times i tried a non desructive system recovery, and both times i ended up, calling hp support center, and they only thing they could tell me, FULL SYSTEM RESTORE. The Problem has always been there......HP is trying to blame it on sp1. I will never run a restore on this pc again....nor will i ever buy an HP computer again.

12. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Smart thinking harley1730. :) Welcome aboard.

13. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

I agree with you I'm not buying another prebuilt desktop system from any company. Al welcome to Xp-erience harley1730

14. harley1730

harley1730 Guest

yes, no more prebuilts for me, either. Thanx for the welcome hipster and doofus.. Love the site, been coming here about 2 months now, hope it stays up.

15. I have a Hp Pavilion 7965 and i never had a problem installing windows xp serivce pack 1. maybe you have software conflicting with the service pack files ?

16. damnyank

poolmanmichael - I never had a problem installing SP1 - what we are talking about is a"new critical update" notification received from Windows Update - after you have installed SP1

By the way - welcome!

17. Sorry my mistake but i have used windows update since installing windows xp service pack 1 becuase of my scanner every thing seemed to go okay

18. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i did jus post that on news. i have xp home on hp with "hidden partition"

the "non-destructive" recovery is s**t + takes ages + leaves all icons + bits of files all over place.

the "destructive" reovery is gd

19. Parting Ways

Parting Ways Guest

The only way to do a recovery on an HP is destructive, I tried a non destructive before SP1 and it completely screwed everything I had installed.

20. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

yup it does because u get a "cross over" were some programs are in windowzz bit as well as documents bit. so it screws em. u end up reinstallin all programs anyway. but it does keep all of the "my documents" bit.