alcatel speedtouch 150

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Doom, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Hi there I've just got myself an alcatel speedtouch 510 router with built in firewall. I have a couple of questions. Can I network 2 pc's through a router and is the hardware firewall enough or do I need a software one too?

Thank's folks

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

if it's a 4-port router, then you can link upto 4 pc's to the internet and LAN.
    the firewall will protect the network from intrusion, but that doesn't mean that it will stop worms and virii from infecting your pc's though - that's the job of anti-virus softwares.

3. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Ok thank's bud. At least I can get rid of zone alarm now.

4. dpr

dpr NTFS Junkie

I would still use a software firewall as well. Before you uninstall your firewall disable it and run the security test here https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 with their "All Service Ports" test Stealth is the best result. I am useing the same router as you and Norton Personal Firewall as well and all my ports ect are stealthed. Have a read there to find out full explination ect

5. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

No I havent read it. What's the point in having a software one 2? With the one in the router everything is stealthed just the same as a software one would be.

6. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

What do you mean by NAT?