Aim and Direct Connect

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Jul 12, 2002.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I've been using AIM to direct connect with friends to "share" stuff. Sometimes I can't connect to people (always the same people). I can connect if I disable XP's firewall. My question is how do I find out what port to tell AIM to use?

2. if u go to aim preference and then to file sharing and file transfers u can specify the port to use in there

3. dreamliner77

Yes, I know that, but what I need to know is what port to use???

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

You can assign whatever port you wish. Your port decision does not affect the other end of the transfer. I would recommend you use anything above 1024.

5. dreamliner77

I know nothing about networking, ports, etc. I just want to get direct connect to work...

6. as i remember u can set up a port for it in that firewall options, but why do u even need the firewall. just disable it and use aim

7. dreamliner77

The XP firewall is all that I have for a firewall (let the hacking begin!!). I don't wanna go out into the world without any protection.

8. i have been on dsl for 3 years with no firewalls or antiviruses and everrything works fine. plus which normal hacker will be interested in file u have on your computer. as long as u dont do anything stupid so some punks get trojan on your comp.