ahh... windows

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
ok heres the situation. my c drive icon is messed up. it looks like a default icon. now this has happened before, so i called dell cause i dont knwo what i am doing. he had me do a repair of windows. and it worked out. so i just called before and the guy made me go in a different direction then last time (cause i remember) and i booted up from the disk. it then asked me for the administrators password. he told me to press enter but when i did it told me it was invalid. when i told him this he said u have to reinstall the os.:eek: i was freaked. now i dont knwo if the password thing is against the forum guidelines (if it isnt can someone tell me how to reset it)but all i want to know is how do i repair windows xp(home) without needing the password cause the first time i did this i didnt need it. help is greatly needed. thank you very much in advance.

Is the messed up icon the only problem?

To reset or change the administrator password log in to an account that has administrative privileges, type in the run dialogue control userpasswords2 and press enter. In the window that comes up you will see a list of user accounts. One of them is called Administrator, highlight it and in the section below you can now change the password.
If you haven't applied an administrator password before (by default it is blank in Home Edition) I am not sure if it will solve the problem. Something else may be wrong then.

its against the rules, and he was taking you to the command console. the other way to repair windows is to carry on past the 1st repair option and take the 2nd repair at the install section.

and if it's because your icons are fooked up, use powertoys for XP and run the rebuild icon command. my sig says it all about major companys support lines :blink: click this link : Powertoys

i have powertoys and tryed rebuilding many times. can anyone just tell me how i can just repair windows would be great. thanks for the replies.

heres a pic of the icon.

For everything you need to know about repairing windows xp read Here ....hope this does the job.

You can try a repair installation but it is not sure it will fix the problem. In case there is a registry setting causing this it will perhaps not. The point of a repair install is to keep user settings intact.
Doubleclicking the icon brings up the C: drive,the problem is just the look of the icon, right?
This generic icon will be displayed when Windows can not find the icon it is told to show for this item. Did you ever try to customise this icon, using any programs, hacks or a modified shell32.dll that comes with a theme?
As a workaround you could try the attached file. Replace the .txt extension with .reg, doubleclick it and reboot. This should change the C drive icon to the default one.

thanks for the replies. i do have the windows cd
yoyo clicking the icon does bring up the c drive. the last time this had happened a repair installation did the job. also besides haveing the icon problem i keep getting a windows logon ui error.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back