AGP and PCI

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Nitris, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Nitris

Nitris Guest

is there a way to use a AGP with a PCI to get better graphics? i'm thinking probably not :confused:

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

I'm not sure If I've understood but you should wait for PCI Express .. :eek:

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the ports require different adaptors.. you can't use a pci card in an agp slot and vice versa...

pci express should make things universal though...

4. Nitris

Nitris Guest

sorry I was in a hurry so my question didn't really come out right. What I mean is Say I have a gfx card in a AGP , then I put another gfx card in a PCI slot, came I use both at once to get better performance?

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

no.. your performance is dependent solely on your primary adapters capability...

I have 2 video cards... having 2 does not mean you will get a faster overall performance level.. it does mean that you can go dual monitor or something else...

gameplay and everything else depends entirely on your primary adapter's gpu...

6. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

no way .. that's not the same thing as 2 processor support "

7. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

There are only two good things about having two graphics cards:

1. The first one dies and you have another that can take its place.

2. You have a monitor that requires multiple gFX cards. There is only one that I know of.

8. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

as long as the cards are the same, the agp slot is better than the pci one anyway....so just keep the agp one in.

9. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

but having multiple gfx cards means you can play games like Quake and Flight sims on multiple monitors.

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

From what I've read, you only get one mini PCI Express slot for graphics only, and you get another two slots twice the length for other devices.
    Can't remember the exact details off the top of my head though, so I might be wrong on this.