adware/spyware/whatever!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by macromp, Jun 17, 2003.

1. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i've got a really annoying problem with adware/spyware or something in IE, i've run ad-aware and it's not found anything...this is what i get instead of the "page cannot be found" page (and i get another window which pops up about stopping pop ups! it's links to a site called www.warnet.com and i have no idea what that is...) click for bigger pic

[​IMG]

oh and there's also another annoying toolbar that's somehow been installed for my pleasure, don't know what that is either, it's got a very suspicious looking name...

[​IMG]

any ideas?

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Download and run Spybot S&D. It catches some things that Ad-Aware doesn't. Sounds like you may have been hijacked, and there's a great thread in Security that might help you out.

Security Thread
    Spybot

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Muzikool is correct, run Spybot, it should be able to fix your little dilemma.

Heeter

4. macromp

macromp the retarded one

ok, thanks guys i'll have a go

5. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Spybot-S&D is the best freeware application fro getting rid of things like that I have ever come across. Ad-Aware V6.0162
    hangs a lot and has a non responding thing quite often.

I always recommend Spybot.

6. neoterixx

neoterixx Guest

Try Adware, and when I had a problem like this someone gave me a program called Hijackthis.zip it seemed to fix the problem.

7. muzikool

This problem should be pretty much covered now that Enyo has posted a link to the "Cleaning and Prevention" thread. Every app mentioned here is listed and linked in that thread. :)

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Exact opposite here, spyBot always hangs and stops responding, while Ad-Aware does its job really fast.

9. muzikool

Niether way here. Both programs complete every time, and each finds things the other did not. :D

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Thats good then.