Advice on laptop purchase required!

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Mubbers, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

I'm buying a laptop, mainly for work but as I'm working away from home I'll need it for RnR too.

Obviously DVD player...

But what are the top five features I should be looking for in a laptop these days - I might want to play DIII on it should this game ever be released. But definitely UT2k3.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

New York City
    You would definitely need a very good graphics chipset to run those games - probably the Mobility Radeon 9000 or better.
    Try to get a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. In fact, Dell offers a free upgrade to a combo drive on some models.
    Another thing to consider is weight and battery life. The Centrino laptops with Pentium-M's have superb battery life, and excellent performance. If you have the money to spend, I'd say go for one.
    A 5400rpm hard drive would also be nice (that's the fastest for laptops btw), although 4200rpm drives aren't all that slow either.

Check out Dell's site...they have some really good deals. You might find something you like. Good luck! :)
  3. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    NeoTech PC

they supply alienware their parts... so they should be cheaper. (and look better, if you ask me)