ADSL wires only (UK)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vaineh, Apr 23, 2003.

1. vaineh

vaineh Guest

my exchange is gonna be enabled in june

seeing as i havent been able to get adsl i dont really know much about it

with the self install options wot exactly are u required to do, is it just simply get and install ur own adsl modem and connect all the splitters to ur phone sockets etc ?

2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

basically, the engineer will come and install the line and leave you with the socket on the wall.

what you do then is...

connect a microfilter to the phone socket.

connect the wire which you'll get with the adsl modem to the microfilter and connect the other end to the modem.

connect the usb wire to the modem and pc (or ethernet cable if its an ethernet modem - or no extra cables if its an internal modem).

install the modem from the cd you get with it - this may install your connection pretty much for you.

Then you set up the connection the same way as you'd set up a dialup connection pretty much. The only exceptions is that you dont need a phone number (apart from a few - Pipex requires you to dial 0,38) and you choose the adsl modem instead of the 56k (obviously :)).

Any other problems you have, post back and we'll take it from there.

offtopic: btw, vaineh = q2 player? or different person?

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

you get sent a USB modem, driver disk and 2 filters. very easy to do. if you get an engineer out its costs tripple to set up.

4. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

you get sent a modem etc too? i thought they put the lines in only tbh and you got your own modem.

a mate of mine is getting nildram 1mb and he has to buy his own modem and filters etc.

i spose it depends on which ISP u go with?

5. vaineh

vaineh Guest

yeh, do i know u ?
    wot nick did u play q2 under ?

6. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

We are just waitin to get connected in Preston. I was informed that there is no requirement for an engineer to visit, as the same line is used but enabled at the BT end. ISP will send filters and modem/cd for self connection - at least that is what they said!!

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

If you do have to buy your own Modem, do not buy USB, buy an ethernet modem, much more stable and better speeds.

8. vaineh

vaineh Guest

prolly get an Alcatel Speedtouch 510v4

9. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

you either gotta be a total dumbass or a technophobic to get the engineers out to install it.

10. vaineh

vaineh Guest

well im neither
    bit of a dumbass, but not total dumbass

11. natasrof1

natasrof1 Guest

what you do then is...

connect a microfilter to the phone socket.

connect the wire which you'll get with the adsl modem to the microfilter and connect the other end to the modem.

I took the dumbass test and passed, got a 65! Anyway, here in the states we (I anyway) put the filter on the phone lines to block the DSL noise from disrupting the phone conversations. It may be different in your neck of the woods, but if you follow this advice and it doesn't work, take the filter off the modem.
    Natas<-

12. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

a few...
    u will probably know me from Q2JB as [XiO]SnapZ :)

13. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

yeah, we use the microfilters in the same way here in the UK :)
    the only difficulty that people may have with installing their own ADSL is setting the actual connection up rather than plugging in the hardware... and the ISP should give detailed information into how you would do that :)

14. vaineh

vaineh Guest

snapshot ?

internets a small place init

15. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

yup thats me :D