ADSL recognition via Fax

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tweakfiend, May 31, 2004.

1. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Have started tinkering again with fax software after long time out.

General fax software does' nt seem to recognise anything bar a dial up modem... so cannot load the necessary virtual print driver.

Using a Belkin ADSL router/modem.

Any one tried this ?

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Fax goes @ 14,000 bits, can't get mine to work either, I have windows fax and Nortons fax pro 10, tried heaps of different things, just don't like me.

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Fax software sends faxes through a regular modem. A regular modem is designed to work with faxes. Some are known as VDFmodems (Voice,Data,Fax). But all are at least Data,Fax modem. ADSL modems are not Fax modems, they transmit/recieve through the phone lines at a much higher frequency than regular phones or faxes. That is why you can't hear your ADSL modem working through your phone, unlike a fax working. Even by the slightest chance you actually managed to find a driver that would make the Fax software recognize the ADSL modem, no other fax machines in the world would hear your machine faxing them because your would be transmitting at ADSL frequencies.
    What you actually need to do is plug a regular 4 wire connector to your Fax modem from your phone wall jack.

Hope this helps.

Heeter

4. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks Heeter.