adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

if i add an IP to this file, what happens? I'm trying to get a private Lineage 2 game going and the site is asking me to do this..

"After you have installed the C3 Client, check for any updates using the auto-updater.

After the update is complete you have only one thing left to do! You must go to your c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder. In there is a file named \"hosts\", without the quotes. Open it with a text editor such as notepad. And add the following line at the bottom:
    62.234.162.148 L2authd.lineage2.com"

is this ok to do?

Kush likes this.
  2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i would guess its ok, all it does is doesnt go to whatever u put into that file, and i saw something like that for my friends pcphone prog with ips before its domain and it still works fine

dubstar likes this.
  3. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

The hosts file is referenced first by Windows to do name resolution (before your ISP's name servers are queried)...i.e. to turn L2authd.lineage2.com into 62.234.162.148. All web sites are referenced by an IP address...the name is simply to make it human-friendly.

4. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Apparently the host "L2authd.lineage2.com" doesn't really exist on the internet, therefore they want you to resolve the name locally to the IP address ... hence their instructions.

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

This works fine, and in agreement with everyone else on the fuction. I have even seen viruses that perform the following...

127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com

Anyways, to make a long story short, they take EVERY useful site for clearing the virus, and send it to the loopback. That mofo is a tough one to kill...

6. mrowton

mrowton OSNN Junior Addict

nslookup for me shows L2authd.lineage2.com lives at 206.127.151.66

It seems odd that they would ask everyone to change their host file instead of just changing their DNS.

Is it possible that someone is trying to point you to a scam page?

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

turn it into? huh?

It's a pointer.

8. dubstar

dubstar format c:

the software is retail but some guys got the server specs and turned a huge MMORPG in to a private server (free) MMORPG.

i got it working though. thanks for your help guys

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team