Adding SD Ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by w6u6f, Dec 19, 2001.

1. w6u6f

w6u6f Guest

OK this might be a little long winded so stay with my.

I just bought 2 256MB RDRAM 600 MHZ Non-ECC chips. I presently have 2 64MB RDRAM 600 MHZ Non-ECC chips. I added them into my motherboard. My motherboard can handle this much, I called Dell and they said no problem as long as I buy my ram in pairs.

When I restart my computer with the new ram. I get a message at first saying that the computer recognizes that there is more memory. I pressed F2 and it recognized in my Bios that there was 640. I went back to the normal start-up. Windows XP tries to start up.. can't.. screen flickers... computer restarts... get a message

Now I can't exactly remember what the message is but, I will try to say what I remember. It gives me a blue screen. It says that it restarted because of one of a few reasons.
    1) More memory
    2) Power failure
    Bla bla
    and it will stay at this screen to avoid any corruption to my files.

Has anyone encountered a problem similar to this? I can provide more details if necessary.

Newman

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Pop out the two 64MB modules and insert two continuity RIMMs in its place. See if it still does not boot.

3. w6u6f

w6u6f Guest

Ya, I tried a bunch of different variations with the RIMMs, 64s, 256s. No luck, I think I might have to bring this one to the shop. Ah well.