Adding an extra hard drive

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by Guybrush, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

I have a SATA HDD in situ at the moment and I want to add another Maxtor SATA HDD.

Inserting the hard drive is no problem, but I want the windows installation to be on the new drive as it is of larger capacity and my existing one for running games and storage/backup.

I have a windows recovery CDRom from the computer manufacturers but I am at a loss how to achieve the above, so if anybody can guide me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

There is no method to moving an installation of Windows and all of the programs you have installed to a new drive. You will have to reinstall Windows and the programs. You can install the new drive on port 0 (of your motherboard) and make your old drive port 1, 2, or 3. Install Windows and then move your data over (Documents, Favorites, etc.).

3. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Couldn't he just use an image program like Ghost... Or HD imaging?

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Acronis TrueImage would allow you to image the smaller partition/drive and restore to a large capacity partition/drive.

But my recommendation would be to keep the OS on the smaller drive and have the larger one as backup and for games installation. That way if you have to reinstall Windows, at least you have a drive which can hold all your important docs, plus extras.

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Yeah he can. Even if it's on a partition, which I don't see mentioned, you can still use Ghost or a similar product to go from Partition to Disk.