Added ram, sluggish

But what does the asterix refer too? Usually says only the DIMMs in slot 1 and 2 will run dual channel.

Some MBs use the same populate chart but state "not run in dual channel" with 3 DIMMs installed. You need to check the specific MB.

It will depend on the chjipset and the MB design.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I said he needs to do is check the exact motherboard I have run many motherbaords in dual channel mode with 3 sticks and it was always when I did it something like this 256/512/256 or 512/1024/512 anyways he needs to research his board

so untill i get my pc3200 and ditch the pc2700 im kinda screwed...

ByDesign - Did you do what Shamus and I told you?

Just try the RAM in different slots and see if it works. Try these combo's in slot 1,2,3 respectively and check the results with CPUz:
-What you have now 256, 256, 512
-256, 256, nothing
-Just the 512 in slot 1
-512, 256, 256
Then look at the results you recorded from CPUz and use the best combination.

Vanquished:
CPUz.exe is a small, free utility (www.majorgeeks.com) that shows you all kinds of technical details about your CPU, MB, RAM, etc. The best I have found.

How your MB responds to 3 sticks of ram depends on the chipset and the Bios. ASUS offers the most capability for using bizarre combinations.

If you have 4 slots you could do 2x512 and 2x256 to get full performance and capacity. READ the manual all kinds of boards have all different kinds of restrictions on RAM usage. Download cpuz and try different arrangements of the 3 sticks you have and see which gives best speed and daul channel support.

i moved the sticks around but didnt just leave the 512 stick in, or just the two 256....ill do that in a bit...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back