Adblock extension for firefox sux ..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Johnny, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

This thing is going out of my pc. With it running I can't add reps here, and I can't edit posts or create posts correctly. It is nothing but a pain in the ass ..

2. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

i;ve been using adblock plus and have never had any problems. you can go to this site http://www.pierceive.com/ and download custom filers. great stuff.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

4. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Judging by the massive amount of people who use this filter system with no troubles I'd say this is a bit extreme. I've used adblock for about 7 month with not a single problem and I find it hard to even surf the web without it.

And yes, I can use the rep system here with no problem. Did you ever think that maybe it's your FF install or some user end issue you have with the rep system?

I completely disagree. Adblock is great and certianly there are other apps that are decent but I think it's a bit much to say admuncher is the 'only one worth it's salt.'

5. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

I use adblock as well to capture the url of the annoying flash ads and report them to our advertising agency to remove them from the work website.

people don't like noises or bugs or ads that cause high cpu loads and adblock is great at getting the flash url's of macromedia ads

egghead

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

7. Johnny

I am thinking that maybe it is the install of ff. I am finding somoe weird things happening on various other boards as well ..

8. Admiral Michael

Its a possibility. Im having a problem with firefox crashing when I go back a page or two. It seems to only happen on this site.

9. FredEx

FredEx Lurker

I've been using both Adblock and Admuncher on four systems with no problem. Two desktops and two laptops running from a 750 Mhz Intel to an AMD 64 3400+. I like the combination of adblockers since one gets what the other may miss.

10. Admiral Michael

I just started reusing adblock since a few sites lag due to ads. I also hate any ads with talking.

So far all systems are go.

11. Johnny

I have the problem of it crashing when I go back a couple of pages as well .. I took out a couple of other extensioins and reinstalled add block. It appears to be working now. It could have been a complication of incompatibilties ..

The extensions I took out where:
    • Gmail Checker
    • Speed hack
      and
    • Stock ticker

I remember reading in the mozilla forum about how some people were having probs with the Gmail checker installed ..

12. Admiral Michael

Well this happened before adblock and I dont have any of those extensions installed. I did upgrade to the 1.0.5 build but downgraded back to 1.0.4 cuz I thought the new version was the problem. Glad to see Im not the only one.

13. Admiral Michael

I'm trying to grab the error log but when I goto the folder its gone and the stupid messaghe stay on top so its hard to copy it.

14. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

AdMuncher wont miss anything that you tell it to filter, the latest beta builds have a plugin for IE & Firefox that allow you toi right click and add an object to admunchers filter list. You can get it from #admuncher on EFNet (use mirc and type !munch when you get there)

As to my comment earlier that admuncher is the only adblocker worth it's salt - this is based on personal experiance with adblock extension for Firefox, and several other adfilters.

AdMuncher IS the only blocker worth its salt.

15. FredEx

FredEx Lurker

I've been a registered user of Admuncher since it came out. I have had it miss a few things and fail to get them all when adding a filter. That has been over a long period of time. What I most like about Adblock is being able to easily remove items from a page. Some sites I go to often may have many animated links, frames or pictures loading I don't care to see, I'll block those for faster page loading.

Before either of those were even thought of I used the Win host file to direct ad look-ups to 127.0.0.1 and have some sites that I add their IPs for so I don't have to rely on DNS servers to resolve when loading the sites. It still speeds up the loading of some sites. I still maintain a hosts file.

I'll check out the betas.