Adanced Networking - ***Need Help Bridging***

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by XeoNoX, Nov 8, 2002.

1. XeoNoX

XeoNoX OSNN Senior Addict

Refer to the diagram provided in the link below in order for you to have a good understanding of my network layout

[​IMG]

( h**p://xeonox.netfirms.com/Network003.jpg if the pic does not load)

MY GOAL:

I want to know how can i bridge box 1 so that my linksys router can use its DHCP to assign ip addresses to BOX 2 and BOX 3.

Keep the following REQUIRMENTS in mind:

1) Both house 1 and house 2 must (i repeat, they MUST) be on the 192.168.1.xx network. (In other words 192.168.0.xx will break the requirement)

2) I DO NOT (i repeat, i DO NOT) want to buy additional hardware such as a hardware bridge.

Other layout Related Info:

1) ALL computers at both House 1 and House 2 are running Windows XP Professional SP1.....including Box 1. NOTE: OS is not a problem, i can change to a different WINDOWS OS if it will solve my problem.

2) The Linksys router has DHCP and NAT enabled.

3) Box 1 is NOT running any special software such as routing software, NAT software, or firewall software. It is running of plain windows ip configuration.

MY PROBLEM:

All i need help on is the IP configuration for Box 1 and Box 2. I need someone to tell me the IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS of both boxes.....that means i need to know the settings for both the Wireless NIC and the Wired NIC attached to BOX 1 and i need to know the NIC settings for the NIC attatched to BOX 2 .

I basically want to know Before i bridge (on BOX 1), what IP's should i have each NIC set at on Box 1?
    Please tell me the IP, Subnet Mask, gateway, dns, that i should use for both nic's on Box 1 before i click bridge.

After i click bridge it creates the bridge and the only thing i have to configure is the bridge itself that i created. In the bridge i am allowed to assign it an IP, Subnetmask, gateway, & DNS. What do i set all that to?

Basically i need the ip setting to before i bridge and after i bridge for my current network layout.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Can't you just run a cable from House 1 to the hub?

The SNM looks wrong. Should be 255.255.255.0 normally.

Box 1:
    NIC should be set to any IP you like I believe. The DNS and Gateway should (logically anyway) be empty. The bridge I don't know about though, didn't know they needed an IP. One idea is 192.168.1.2 or so and Gateway to 192.168.1.1. DNS can be 192.168.1.1 or ISP:s DNS. Box 2 and 3 will not need to be set at anything special.

I think! :)

3. XeoNoX

i had to use 255.255.255.224 in order to remain on the 192.168.1.0 network for house 2, otherwise i would have had to change the network to something different like 192.168.0.1 in order to browse from house 2 and i would have also had to route from box 1. Thats not what i want to do of course because i want to stay on the 192.168.1.0 network.

The broblem with XP when i bridge is that i loose all interent connection on everything at house 2.

4. Zedric

I meant it should be 255.255.255.0 on the entire network, not just House 2. So when you bridge, computers 2 and 3 won't get an IP?

5. XeoNoX

when i bridge everything stops working at house 2. I cant even access the net from box 1 after i bridge but before i bridge i can.

I notice that after i bridge the bridge itself can be assigned an ip, am i supposed to give it an ip? I personally think its supposed to be left alone after you click bridge from what i understand

6. Zedric

Well I still think running a cable to the hub is the best way. Any reason why not? A cable is cheap.

7. XeoNoX

i am running a cable to the hub.

What im tring to do is make BOX 1 wich is located at HOUSE 2, do the job of a wireless bridge so that it connected to the linksys router which is located at house 1.

How can i accomplish that?

8. Zedric

*doh* Wireless. Silly me. :) Oh well. This is as far as I go, I'm afraid. Don't know too much about bridging, thought it would be easier! Maybe someone else?

9. XeoNoX

lol, it seems like no one knows.