Activation question again!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I built a new PC yesterday.

Before I add my old TV, graphics and ADSL card, with my old hardrive, I have a question to ask.

I currently have 4 M$ products activated and 1 symantec product activated.

I am worried about not being able to boot (heard these stories) to reactivate my legal software.

Symantec problem I will phone them, that seems the least of my worries.

What is the work around this if infact the boot issue is a fact?

Are there any other problems I could encounter also?
  2. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Nah, it will boot after a new install, that is not a problem. (If the motherboard is changed and it's a substantially changed system, I would recommend a new install anyhow...) What WPA will do is expire in 30 days unless you activate. There was a write up on this sometime back. I'll see if I can find it.

If you have built a new system (and are not continuing to run your old one), it is perfectly legal to transfer your copy of Windows and stuff. But instead of activing it online, you'll need to call the phone number, give them the product code or whatever they call it (don't remember off the top of my head), and type in the activation code they give you.

BTW, I would add all your hardware before activating... You definitely need the hard drive (unless it's a backup), though I think that's one category of device it looks for a change...

Edit: Here's some info

More info is included. Note something like a CPU for instance (both processor serial number and processor type) could be counted in 2 categories.

For this reason, I would recommend that you add all devices counted in these given categories before calling in to activate... This way you get the maximum number of upgrades/changes allowed before having to activate again.
    Lee likes this.
  3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Thanks for your help, a chick in the USA at M$ said that it will boot but remove all the patches, updates, spacks etc and I will have to start all other again reinstalling them, no biggie, just a pain in the ass.
  4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Well very odd even though new motherboard, new processor, ops yet to ask me to reactivate it:)