Activating Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jz1397-5, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

i have had my version of XP (legit) installed for over 60 days, and today i turn it on and get a message saying that we need to re-activate windows because the hardware config. on my computer has changed within the past 60 days. however when i try to re-activate windows over the internet, it disables my network adapter, no biggie, i will just call them like i did the first time. except the program dosn't give me a new installation ID, it only wants me to change my serial number if directed to by the help person (which is a computer), any ideas?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You could try removing the wpa.dbl file to the desktop. If xp will allow it. Windows/system32 directory.

Warning: I did this & the computer would not boot into windows. I think I had to get back in using safe mode.

Anyway it is suppose to be the file that is created when xp is activated. By moving the file it might allow you to activate like a new installation. You can always put it back from within safe mode if it does not work.

3. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Im assuming its Home edition cause Pro you dont need to activate which releaves the hassle of calling them. I remember there being a feature in the tweak prog Tweak XP that makes activation a bit easier.

4. WinXPMan

WinXPMan Guest

Actually, Retail Versions of Windows XP Professional need to be activated.

5. Hipster Doofus

Yep. It's only that OTHER version that doesn't. :D

6. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

well, i restarted my computer, passed on the registering of windows, then was able to get internet connection working. from there it would not register so i had to call them again, after failing with the computer, they gave me a LIVE person, who helped me out. thanks for all your replys :D

7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Pro does need activated - MSDN is the only Windows Professional Version that dose'nt ...

I'm glad you figured it out dude ..

8. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

You mean the corporate edition?;)

9. Hipster Doofus

Aye that be the one.

w00t w00t

10. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Hey Hipster Doofus is that downloading thing in you sig the special dowload manager that comes with AOL? You know that one that disconnects you when you have got to 98% of a large download! I'm not on AOL now thankfully!

11. Hipster Doofus

Well it either cuts you off at 98% or the damn file is corrupted. :rolleyes:
    :D :D

12. lechtard

lechtard Guest

You mean the beta version ??? Yes I know what you are talking about, all it is is a pro beta version that had some extra things added and some things removed ...

13. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

The so-called Corporate Edition is not a beta. It is an RTM version of XP (Build 2600) that doesn't require activation. In fact, there is nothing different about the setup files in Pro and Corp.

All that's different is the CD key that you enter during setup. The "Corporate edition" uses a Volume License Key (VLK).