Access 2003, technical issues.

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by GEN3RIC, Mar 28, 2006.

1. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

This is hard to explain, at my work, they sat me down and said "fix this program". It's in pretty rough shape and I'm no expert with Access :suprised: . The concept of the program is to allow a massive amount of workflow, to scan in documents, check whether they are a folder, placeholder, or document (paper- physically scanned in, or e-doc- imported online). After the doc's have been quality-checked, the system I have set up creates an index text file that assigns a name and category.

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
     Dim num_RECS As Integer
     Dim file_LIST() As Variant, batch_up_FILE As String
     Dim batch_up_TXT As String
     Me.Requery

project_LBL.Caption = Form_project.project_KEY.Value
    If Not Me.Recordset.RecordCount = 0 Then
     Me.Recordset.MoveLast
    With Me.Recordset
        num_RECS = .RecordCount
        .MoveFirst

ReDim file_LIST(.RecordCount) As Variant
       If IsNull(!filetype) Then
           file_TYPE = ".tif"
            Else
            file_TYPE = !filetype
       End If
       file_LIST(1) = !index & file_TYPE

Select Case !select

Case 1
            batch_up_TXT = "f " & !index & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 2
            batch_up_TXT = "p " & !index & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 3
            batch_up_TXT = "e_s " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 4
            batch_up_TXT = "e_s_c " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 5
            batch_up_TXT = "e " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 6
            batch_up_TXT = "c " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        End Select

For i = 2 To .RecordCount
        .MoveNext
         If Not !select = 1 Then
            If IsNull(!filetype) Then
                file_TYPE = ".tif"
                Else
                file_TYPE = !filetype
            End If
            file_LIST(i) = !index & file_TYPE
            End If

Select Case !select

Case 1
            batch_up_TXT = "f " & !index & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 2
            batch_up_TXT = "p " & !index & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 3
            batch_up_TXT = "e_s " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 4
            batch_up_TXT = "e_s_c " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 5
            batch_up_TXT = "e " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        Case 6
            batch_up_TXT = "c " & !index & " " & !index & !filetype & " " & !title & vbCrLf & batch_up_TXT
        End Select

Next i
    If Not Dir(global_path & Form_project.project_KEY.Value & "\BATCHES\" & Form_v5_batch_manager.Recordset!batch_label & ".for_upload", vbDirectory) = "" Then
        path_TXT.Value = global_path & Form_project.project_KEY.Value & "\BATCHES\" & Form_v5_batch_manager.Recordset!batch_label & ".for_upload"
        batch_up_FILE = global_path & Form_project.project_KEY.Value & "\BATCHES\" & Form_v5_batch_manager.Recordset!batch_label & ".for_upload\" & Form_v5_batch_manager.Recordset!batch_label & ".txt"
    Else
        MsgBox "Upload path not found"
        path_TXT.Value = "Upload path not found"
        batch_up_FILE = "c:\temp\" & Form_v5_batch_manager.Recordset!batch_label & ".txt"
    End If

Select Case Form_v5_batch_manager.type_TXT

Case "EDOC", "PAPER"
         verify_RETURN = verify_files_FUNC(file_LIST(), .RecordCount, batch_up_FILE)

If verify_RETURN = "0" Then
            verify_TXT.ForeColor = 32768
            verify_TXT.Value = "Upload Ready Captain!"

Else

verify_TXT.ForeColor = 255
                verify_TXT.Value = verify_RETURN

End If

Case "FOLDERS"
            verify_TXT.Value = "Folders Ready!"

Case "RENAME"
            verify_TXT.Value = "Ready to Rename!"
        End Select
    Form_batch_update_sub.edoc_TXT.Value = batch_up_TXT

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set a = fs.CreateTextFile(batch_up_FILE, True)
    a.WriteLine (batch_up_TXT)
    a.Close

End With
    Else
        verify_TXT.Value = "No Data Available."
    End If
    'Form_batch_update_sub.edoc_TXT.SetFocus
    End Sub
    Everything is in working order, but when you go to "upload" the files in the directory, it pulls the file list from this text file. It should not be looking for placeholders or folders since they do not physically exist. However when I get to the batch update where it shows whether or not the appropriate files are available for upload, it is telling me that the files with an "f" or "p" are not there. And the worst part, it doesnt always tell me ALL of the "f's" or "p's" aren't there. Just a few of them!

I am thinking it is some sort of error in the code. Can anybody spot it in what I provided? If not I have 232 pages for you to sift through :laugh:

Thanks to anybody who looks into this.

2. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Well the code is ok I think, however the use of the “with” statement carries with it (sorry for the pun) many traps and tricks. It’s only supposed to be used for assignations, where lazy people like myself get tired of continually referring to an object, if you use it (as in this case) for recordsets and then use any type of nested function or looping the results can be as you have experienced as the “with” statement cannot handle loops inside itself correctly and was in any event never meant to be used this way.

I’d try hard typing all references, get rid of the “with” structure entirely and assign proper variables to recordsets, also remove the Me.recordset and temporarily use the .recordsetsclone method just to make sure (if it’s on a multiple nested sub-form) that you are using the correct recordset in the first place.

I suspect however that the problem resides in the use of the “with” statement and its inability to see anything outside of its immediate restricted scope.

:) :)