AC97 vs Creative

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by luish, Mar 1, 2003.

1. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

I have a new gigabyte mb with an AC97 onboard sound card and I also have a Creative sound blaster ?

which is the best to use ?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

soundblaster probably... which one is it? audigy? basic 5.1 ?

audigy and above is better... but even otherwise I would consider using your sound blaster...

the onboard is not bad mind... :)

3. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

ok i had onboard sound and recently got an audigy 2 by creative the sound quality is so much better then onboard it doesnt hiss anymore i'd recommend it:)

4. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

Re: Re: AC97 vs Creative

The creative is an old sound blaster live (more than 2 years old).

What do you say ?

Is the onboard good?

5. versionfiv

versionfiv OSNN Addict

Go with the soundblaster, I have a similar situation as you, and the soundblaster is much better. (I have a Live X-Gamer 5.1 and AC97 Onboard)

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Re: Re: Re: AC97 vs Creative

yes the onboard is good.. in fact better than many sound cards.. BUT the soundblaster you have might have an edge in sound quality.. I would go with that...

7. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Gigabyte boards have good onboard sound, indeed better then some older soundcards, but if it's a Sound Blaster, it would be nice to know what model, but if it is anything from a year ago, or so, I would use that instead.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Re: Re: Re: AC97 vs Creative

i would go with the live. but it depends on what you listen to. if you play games, definitely go with the live!.. it gives you eax and support for 4 speakers. also, if you listen to music at moderate volume, use the live!.

but if you don't consider yourself an audiophile and don't play music very loud, then there's nothing wrong with the onboard sound, if you have other uses for the live! (sell it, lend it out, put in another comp).