Aah! Partitions! Aah!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ModestCargo, Dec 20, 2002.

1. ModestCargo

ModestCargo Guest

Okay, here's my problem. I had 3 partitions of my 20 GB hard drive. Two were 5 GB each C: & D:, and one was 10 GB E:. The first two are system files and documents C: and program files D:, and the last one is my music E:. Now, I reformat my hard drive about once every two months or so. What I mean by reformat is I erase the first two and reinstall Windows and programs, and I leave E: to back up my documents & music. I do all this with the partition manager on the XP CD. Then I decided it was time to combine C: and D: because I was running out of space on D: and had lots on C:. So I erased both and repartitioned both again (because the XP manager won't let me combine them without erasing E: first for some annoying reason. Then I went into the command prompt and used diskpart to erase D: so there was only free space there and then extend the C: drive so that it would be 10 GB. The problem is that now it says I have C: which is 10 GB, D: which is 10 GB, and 5 GB of free space. So now the total in disk manager says 25 GB which I know is not correct.

-> Takes A Deep Breath <-

And then I installed PartitionMagic 8, which doesn't work. I get "Error 117: Partition's drive letter could not be identified". And I'm not trying to back up 10 GB worth of mp3's onto cds. Not gonna happen. I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

My computer has just decided to ruin my life. Oh joy.

2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Just 2 points.
    Partition Magic is the best partitioning software out there. I have found that if you try and use PM8 then fdisk (or vice versa) then you will have problems. Stick to one or the other and all's sweet.

Secondly I must have many, many gigabytes of MP3s and movies downloaded, and they are ALL on CD!! if my bl**dy harddrive goes down,......well dah!!

TOK

3. Bob S

Bob S Guest

For Gothic...

I use Partition Magic 7 and it has saved and helped me many times. The question is, a value in getting PM8?

By the way, noticed your birthday post. I am a young pup who will be 53 on January 5.

4. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

A mere child then!!
    I invested in PM8 mainly for it's new support for the new partitions under linux, with NTFS and Fat32 I think there's little change, the rest is up to you!!

TOK

5. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

What does Disk Management say about your drive?

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage / Disk Management, if you don't know where it is.

This is really the only utility I use to deal with my hard drives.

Melon

6. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

You mean to say you depend on something M$ has provided.........................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Sorry to be off topic. This reminds me of the "good ol' days". gothic and melon posting on the same day. Good to see you guys around more. :cool:

8. ModestCargo

ModestCargo Guest

As I said in my first post, disk management (I called it disk manager) said that I had C: = 10 GB, D: = 5 GB, E: = 10 GB and 5 GB free space.

I already fixed my prob though. I just booted from the XP CD, deleted partition C: which reported as 10 GB, and then the free space reported as 5 GB, which I repartitioned as C:. Then I installed XP on C:, installed PM8 and merged the two partitions C: and D: so now it reports C: = 10 GB and D: = 10 GB. Changed the drive letter of E: to C:. I think I will buy PM8 now, it seems to be a good utility. Works like a charm. (I downloaded it from IRC initially. I do that for most software before I buy to see if it is good enough to spend the money on.)

Man, just cause I'm young doesn't mean I'm dumb. :p

Now I can get on to installing Red Hat 8. Looks pretty sweet.
    I had PM7 from my dad's office previously but I decided to try PM8 for support for the penguin.
    And if it were my MP3s i would use RWs but they're my dad's and he doesn't want to mess with CDs.

9. ModestCargo

ModestCargo Guest

Damn it! I wanted to install Red Hat Linux but when I went into PartitionMagic and clicked "Install Another OS" and rebooted it gives me "Error (Number), Directory flag set for non-directory, file (Number)" I didn't write the error down but I will give the exact details later if needed. Is it just me or is my computer kind of friggy?