a Universal Plug-N-Play question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gballard, Jul 22, 2003.

1. gballard

gballard Moderator

I know that UPNP is a dangerous service to have running on a computer...but...if you have it running on a computer that is sitting behind a router...is it still dangerous?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you're talking about the SSDP Discovery Service (the one that enables your computer to discover UPnP devices on the network), I'm quite sure it shouldn't be much of a security threat. In fact, if you have a UPnP router, you should enable the service if you plan to use video-conferencing software or multiplayer games.

3. gballard

gballard Moderator

hmmm....that dude who runs the Shields UP! website said UPNP is a major no no...because of some exploit that was found or something....

4. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

5. gballard

gballard Moderator

cool...

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Enyo, you mention that the uPnP service could be useful to the user... in what way would it be useful exactly? I've always disabled it on the machines I've installed as I thought it was only needed for certain devices that required it?

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

It doesnt really look as if I would benefit from it tbh, so I'll leave it off on the pcs I got to save resources I think :)

Thx for the little explanation Enyo btw