A Sneaky Change to Microsoft Licensing Agreement?

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by kcnychief, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I think Microsoft should do prevent access to features if someone doesn't validate or if validation fails. Good call Microsoft.

3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

That's all well and good except for all the problems it can (and has) caused with some people. Things like the "daily check" that was built into previous versions of the "windows geniune advantage" tool..

Or people that have had valid licenses come up and say they are running a pirated version.. or the many people that run pirated versions that still pass the check.

Or what happens when a former employee releases a volume key that gets flagged as a pirated key and now all the computers at the old employer no longer have full functionality.

I'm all for trying to protect your rights, but there has to be a better way.

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You live, you learn. That's one thing Microsoft does better than most companies.

I know I have made mistakes that were once a great idea (or so I thought at that time).

5. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

to me they are going about the problem from the wrong side. Now I'm for protecting your rights etc, however I don't agree with paying the increase cost of the product so you can "spy" on me.

A OEM version of Windows XP Home at Fry's Electronics runs 99 dollars and Pro 150 dollars. The retail versions are double those prices. Instead of charging 200 or more dolalrs lower the cost to say 50 dollars and I bet they would actually sell more.

Well there doesn't seem to be much to cause me to upgrade to vista.

Still interesting reading

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

How sneaky is it if it appears on Nick's blog? :p

7. fitz

It's sneaky because who really reads the license agreements?

Some more *interesting* changes that affect Vista Home/Home Premium versions..

Can only transfer the license once to a different computer.. so, if I replace my computer with another home built one more than once, I have to buy another license?

Vista Home/Home Ultimate:

*Can only connect to 5 devices (10 for Home Ultimate) to network services (IIS/FTP)
    *Can't use Remote Desktop (only Remote Assistance)
    *Can't install in any Virtual Environmnet

edit: And what's with "Validation"
    Why does it need to revalidate from time to time? If you activate it using the proper key when you first install it, is it suddenly going to become a pirated version of windows? Or are they checking to see if the hardware changed, move it to a different machine (more than once) via imaging? sheehs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  8. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

The whole validation scheme will be cracked with in a few weeks. People who have pirated will continue to pirate.

So why make life harder for people who are actually honest?

9. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

I think after reading all this, that i'm not going to be upgrading to vista, even now i never use it at home, i still use XP.

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Connect to only 5 devices?

Keyboard, mouse, Speakers, Monitor we are four down already, someone plug in a printer and it is done with. Neat, even more reason to stay away from it.

11. fitz

5 remote devices can connect to services running on the comptuer (ie: IIS/FTP). Vista Home can support 5 connections to these services.. Vista Home Premium will allow up to 10 connections to these services.

Devices such as PDA's, phones, cameras,printers are not included in this. This is not that dissimilar to XP (which I believe allows 10 connections).

Badly worded in the previous post.. **goes to edit post**

Also, did a little more digging in the "running in virtual software" piece of it.. and the way the license agreement is worded seems to indicate that you CAN run it in virtual environment. What you can't do is run a copy of Vista Home/Home Premium on a physical computer, install VWMare/VirtualPC/etc, then take that SAME license and install it in a VMWare session on that same physical computer. You would have to buy a seperate license to install it in VMWare.

Now.. this means that the Vista Ultimate edition which does not have this restriction means you can take your Vista Ultimate edition, install it on a physical computer.. then isntall VWMare and take that same Vista Ultimate edition and install it into a virtual machine running on the same physical machine and still be in compliance.

12. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

LOL... RIIIGHT good luck enforcing this... they are on shaky ground, the first time Microsoft gets a challenge in court for this they will lose...

It is STILL ONE INSTALL FOR ONE MACHINE...

They cant enforce the install behind VMWare without trying to hack into it and find out...