A registry needs defragging???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

Surfing through the we, looking for the usual freeware, I found a "registry defragmenter". I began to wonder, does the registry need defragging too? If so,
    is there a tried and true registry defragger instead of this release candidate? I never heard of one of these proggies before. How frequently should I defrag my registry?

Heeter

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Well, I don't defrag my registry, I just use a registry "cleaner" to remove entries from uninstalled programs... you know the ones that aren't removed with the uninstaller. Doing that keeps things pretty organized. It was a long time ago that I read about defragging the registry, so I can't be certain, but I don't believe that it's necessary. You might want a second opinion on that, but I'm pretty sure you can do without.

3. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

You should read this, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7095232~root=sware~mode=flat But read it all. There are many pros and cons to defragging the Reg. And I think if you read all the posts in this thread it will give you a better idea as to if you should or not.

Please read all the posts. :)

I myself think it's overkill, even though there are proggies specifically for this.

Hopefully more people chime in on this.