a question...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DAZZ, Aug 24, 2002.

1. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest

im wanting to format this computer, but i have many mp3s that i downloaded from kazaa i dont want to lose.

maybe 10GB+ :D :D, i also have a collection of music videos that my brother got...lots of GBs

what i want to do is send all my music and the other stuff from this computer to the other computer i have, while i format this computer, then ill send the mp3s to this computer after its formatted

i have 2 ethernet cards on this computer, and one connects to my cable moden, and another connects to my other computer, now what im asking is whats the fastest, safest way to transfer all those music to my other computer without damaging them, and stuff

sorry for the long msg :D

THANKS

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

crossover cable

But I'd really recommend backing up all your mp3's to CDR. You'll thank yourself one day.

3. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest

crossover cable??/

im asking if theres a special way, like does windows xp have a special program to do this, or can i setup an ftp on one computer and send it to it throught ftp or will that not work

and i would backup them on cd-r but it would take like 100 cds to do that, plus along time ld

4. Kellog

Kellog Guest

put them both in the same workgroup and you should be able to access them through Windows Explorer.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...been a long time since i've had to transfer files :)

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Make sure the IP:s of the computers are in the same subnet as well (xxx.xxx.xxx.*). Then just transfer the files using normal Windows File Sharing.

6. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest

so what ur tellin me to do is share a folder on the computer i want to tranfer the files to then goto it on this computer, and drag and drop the mp3s?

7. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

hope you dont' have 10baseT...

8. DAZZ

DAZZ Guest

huh

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yepp. Pretty much! :)

However it can be better to share the directory on the computer you are copying FROM. Then you will only be reading the share, not writing. Makes for less problems with file permissions.