"A Most Disruptive Technology"

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by muzikool, May 15, 2007.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Some cool things are going on in the city of Richardson, a suburb of Dallas where my main business office is located. I've linked to an article below that I think some of you will enjoy reading. It's about Wireless Mesh Technology, which could quite possibly have a major impact on communications in the future. The article is quite long, so ADD sufferers beware! :)

A couple of tidbits as the technology relates to Richardson itself:

Article: A Most Disruptive Technology

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Sweet dude, enjoy it!

Although I'm moving to San Jose, so I guess I have the Google wifi to look forward to :p

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Wireless is the way to go. Better coverage, don't have to lay down and maintain lines, lower maintenance costs. Here comes the future...

And you're lucky to be on the forefront!

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Uhm, okay, let me get this straight, the first of its kind? So what about the wireless that has blanketed Tempe, Arizona for the last few years?

It is a standard box which contains several wireless G radio's that broadcast WAZTempe, Kitenet, and WAZAsu. Where WAZTempe is available to the public, Kitenet is used by the authorities (Fire, police, and medical) and WAZAsu is for ASU students.

This technology is exactly like they describe. It is a mesh network that communicates between the different boxes at high speed to cover the entire town, and it is affixed to light poles. It costs $14.95 a month to get access to it, and it benefits the city of Tempe. So that is the only major difference, it is not free, unless you are an ASU student.

I see nothing groundbreaking about this technology. Other than less cost to consumers. Thing is that like WAZTempe, it does not reach far indoors, something that has slowed down it's adoption as the major communication method here in Tempe. To reach throug concrete buildings and whatnot the signal strength would have to be upped tremendously, but not only on Tempe's wireless access points, but also on the wireless cards that users use.

First of it's kind, people need to do more research outside of their damn perfect bubble in which everything they do is a first.

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I don't know if it's apples to apples or not because I don't know anything about what Tempe is doing. Did you read the article?

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I think they're playing catch up with London. :p We've just started a massive WiFi spot somewhere in the centre of London.

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

No, I did not. I don't intend to read such a long and rather boring article. Instead I read the excerpt you posted, which is exactly what Tempe has.