A Happy Sony Customer!

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Black-Syth, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

Hi, I'm just on today to brag about my new Sony Vaio. :p

I've never been a Sony fan. I own a PS2, but don't play it. The support for my Grandfather's Sony Vaio desktop was terrible.

Just two days ago, I bought a high end desktop replacement/entertainment center laptop from Sony. Before anything else, here's the bragging portion.

Specs:

1.7Ghz New core Centrino.
    1 GB RAM
    80GB 7200rpm HD
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB
    17" 1920X1200 XBRITE Technology
    Dvd-R/RW+R-RW + CD-R/RW
    AV Entertainment Dock + Speakers
    Memory Stick, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless LAN

I'm very happy with this, and, once again, please excuse my showboating. The actual reason I'm posting, is to ask if this was a good deal. I paid about $3200 for the whole package with a 3 year warranty. Is there anything that anyone would recommend upgrading? Does anyone have an alternative to this laptop?

Also, the reason I purchased this from a Best Buy is because I have the security of being able to drive there, and getting it fixed or replaced. I don't have to send it in the mail and wait. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Nice. But explain something to me...why, if you dont like things Sony, would you buy a Sony PC?

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

truthfully i would have rather went with a compaq or HP or somethin. mostly because you'll probably pay less..... and cause of the fact that i've hated Vaio's ever since i got my PCV-RX540 Desktop from sony. really butchered the drives to get them into the stupid case they had. and now it seems like they did it again with their new media center-ish PC that has a open gap between the bottom half and top half of the case. This is the one i'm talkin about in case anyone doesn't know.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...aseriesdesktops&Dept=cpu_VAIODesktopComputers

4. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

It was the best laptop that Best Buy carried, I really had no choice. I already own their other high end laptop, it's an eMachines with an Athlon 64. Good PC, buit I needed another one. My family always has a shortage of PCs, but no more. :)

I actually own a Compaq laptop, too. It's an X1000 with a 1.3 Centrino, and a 9200.

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

ED,

Saw that case yesterday, it was tapped. But I do think that the design *may* aid cooling a bit.

6. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

if u were gonna spend that much i would go with alienware...

7. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

The problem is that I can't just drive to Alienware and get my PC fixed.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

i think Alienware is even worse than Sony. even Bigger name to pay for. :rolleyes: if it was possible, and easy.... i'd build my own laptop. but...... you don't really see Laptop cases at computer shows, now do you?

9. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

problem is, if you have a problem with your laptop that isnt software based that can be easily fixed with a restore, such as hardware failure, bestbuy will mail it to sony. so either way, you get f*!*ed in the whole deal.