9800 pro

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Taggert_LOA, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

i recently came across a saphire 9800 pro 256mb agp 8x w/dvi, for 202.00 USD.
    i now have a debranded antec 400w PSU. i was wondering what good PSU should i step up to run this card? here is what is currently running:
    3 80mm fans
    1 CoolerMaster Jet Master4
    1 HDD
    1 CDRW drive
    1 Floppy Drive.
    ATI 9600 SE.
    Any Helpful input would be greatly suggested.

2. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

you could probably pull of sticking with your current 400w psu. if you really need to replace it i would get a ttgi superflower, something like the one here. super flowers are cheap and very high quality, i have one myself and i would highly recommend it to anyone else.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

your psu should be more than adequate to run that card and the peripherals..

i had no problems running my setup on an SL series 400w psu from antec... it died on me, yes... but I think it was more to do with the age of the psu than the load on it...

the most important number to look @ wrt a system == the amps on the 12v rail... none of the components you have listed are going to stress a psu above 300-350w's...

4. scotty588

scotty588 OSNN Addict

im running 2 hard drives, 5 fans, fan controller and hardcano, 1 cd-rw, floppy, and a 9800 pro all on a 300 watt psu and it works fine. btw i also have the sapphire 9800 pro. got it for $212 total with tax and free shipping on newegg new.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I'm running my system (~XP2800 & 9800 PRO) off a 350W antec with no problems. See signature for full details. Just make sure you have plenty of 5v and 12V amperage (25A and 14A respectively).

I also have an older Antec that has too much 12V and not enough 5V for newer equipment so you do need to check.