811493 XP Update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Waldo, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Installed this update Saturday and completely trashed my system. Being too stupid to realize what caused it, I fired up Norton Ghost and put a good image back on my HD, then promptly went to Windows Update and trashed it again. Thank you Microsoft!

2. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

3. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

That was what was wrong I just did a clean install after a format ... not for any reason just because it was about time plus I had changed my video card ...and was finding my puter sluggish and yo and behold I saw this ... and yep I uninstall that pos update and zoomzoom its flying again ...... thanks for the heads up :D

5. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

i installed the 811493 XP update as well but thankfully no problems yet or slugish pc. i installed it the same day it came out on the updates page.

6. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

Yup, same here - 'puter updated it auto - an wee beastie has been runnin like a fart in a trance. Deleted it today an all is well with P4 (also disabled auto update download - will read each update with glasses on before downloading next time).

Many thanks for info!!!!!!!!!

7. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Here's a new(?) link from langalist dated April 20, 2003:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-013.asp

Which states in part:

More Information About This Update
    If you restrict access between different users of your computer, you should install this update. If you are the only person who uses your computer, or if you do not use passwords or other measures to limit access to accounts on your computer, it is not important that you install this update.

U2Penn - ar you running an AV in the background (ie autoprotect) or running an AV at all? If not you will not see the decrease in speed.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm using Symantec AV Corp 8.0 on XP Home ... no slowdown here :)