7600 gt or 2 6600gt

k i forgot to say the only brand of video card i would buy from nvidia is evga si i could possobly use their step up program. plus i would not want to buy a card that is about to be unavalable because i would like to go sli one dayfor my next card. i think i figured out what i will do, i have applied for a job at bestbuy this summer, if i get the job i will just buy the 7800 or 7900 gt at the employee discount of 5% more then cost. does any one know about what it would cost for best buy to buy a 7900 gt?

Lancer
Several members here at osnn have been very happy with the Asrock. It is a socket 939 that has full function AGP 8X and PCI-e x16 on it. It uses the inexpensive ULI 1695/1567 chipsets which support the AMD 64 and AMD 64 X2 CPUs, SATA, Realtek ALC850. $67.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Ice
A lot more than newegg charges. The only 7800GT they have right now is $449 for a PNY (avoid PNY). Best Buy carries mostly PNY and Genuine ATI cards.

The only time to buy a video card locally is if they have a great sale on it. Typically local prices for video cards are 50% higher than mailorder and selection is very limited.

Last edited:
poor my plan was just crapped on.

Edit:im pretty sure they dont sell a 7800 gt for $450 i think they just haven't updated the price on it since it came out.And BFG is a good brand isn't it?

Edit 2:Yeah that must be a un-updated price because the compusa down the street sells the 7800 gt for $300. Do you know about what bestbuy would get the card for if they are selling it for $300?

I hear better and better things about BFG, but there not that big.

While I've been putting the comparison charts together I have seen Video card price differences of as much as +50%. It is not always the "better brands" that are the most expensive.

Sometimes a card will be factory overclocked by 10-20% and the price jacked up 50%.

I've seen the X800Xl selling for as low as $130 in the last few days. A week ago it was still selling at $200 or more.

Rebates of as much as 30% seem to pop up regularly too. It's all about supply and demand. If BB or Compusa decide they are overstocked on a card watch it's price drop from $300 to $200 until they clear inventory. Then the price may actually increase.

Speaking of the comparison charts - todays update:

Attachments

• Nvida and ATI Comaprison.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 67
ice, i worked part time for best buy last year and they DO NOT give you 5% over stock on everything and certainly not on v/cards, for instance, an evga 7800gt which they sell you for about $380 or there abouts to you it would only be about $356, so there is not much of a discount on v/cards.

But heres the slammer, on lcd tvs that cost $2000 or more you may get upto 50% off, for instance i priced an lcd 42" i think it was like $2999, my discount was something like $1300 off, goes to show just how much they jack their prices up, the only time i buy from stores now is if i am too lazy to wait for my online order to come through, otherwise you're just wasting money.

Another thing newegg still beats ANY discount you'll ever get from BB or any other store, even employee discounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back