64 bit xp

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
it's almost ready

even if you get this build, I'd still dual boot into 32 when you're running a 32 bit program where performance is critical.

32 bit programs have to go through aan emulation in the 64 os.

I'd like to see benchmarks of some 32 bit games running on 32 then on the 64

anway, if someone tries this release candidate let us know how it goes

well there are no 64 games yet.
the thing I hate about it is the two program files directories, really don't see the need for it - and if anything the new 64 program files directory shouldbe the one with the name change.

I will most likely try it this week when i get my rig put together. Thanks for the info :).

can i install this on my 32 bit system?

I'm pretty sure everything's going to be better on the 32 bit os untill you run something written in 64

otherwise, the process is going through an emulation.

but when those 64 bit games are written, watch out.

i guess i am going to have to start saving up for my 64-bit system then, that is going to be a complete overhaul. ugh

I'd like someone to try a benchmark with a resource hog run on both operating systems

I'm wondering if the 64 bit os will be so much more affective using the 64 bit chip that the gain over comes the performance price of emulation

My brother's looking to build a desktop. I'm thinking of an Athlon64.
Seems to be the way of the future anyway. :)

I was already to set it up by tuesday and when i opened my present (amd 64bit 3000+ 754). Well of course they sent the wrong chip its suppose to be the 939. So now i gotta wait for the psu,ram and the chip. If nothing goes wrong i should have it done by friday.

perris said:
I'm pretty sure everything's going to be better on the 32 bit os untill you run something written in 64

otherwise, the process is going through an emulation.

but when those 64 bit games are written, watch out.
The article says there is the real loss in running 32 bit programs on it

Our tests have shown that WoW 64 does not affect application performance in any significant way, so 32-bit software will run as briskly as it would on a true 32-bit operating system.

So theres no real reason not to have xp 64 if you have a 64 bit chip, then you can take advantage of any apps that come out as and when

Read today it was just a matter of recompiling 32bit applications using a 64bit compiler, so 64bit applications should pop up in no time.

interesting to be sure, but they aren't going to be taking advantage of all the extra resources, they'll just run better, but not as good as they would if they were compiled with these resources in mind.

at least they won't have to suffer the performance of an emulator though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back