512+ MB ram in WinME

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by adamg, Jul 29, 2003.

1. adamg

adamg Guest

Does Windows ME suffer the same problems Win98 does when you run it with more than 512MB of ram?

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

yep, not sure if its 768 though, but 1gb is a no no

(win me is a joke you know ?)

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Yeah, it craps out after 512.

Only once did it boot up with another 128 stick put in, then it crapped out again.

I'd strongly suggest distancing yourself from that OS.

Heeter

4. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Windows 2000 if better than ME if your computer can't run XP.

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

you can use 1 GB I have done it, it seems that with more than a gig ME or 98 gets impossible. Without doing this, you will get low memory errors. You should be fine as long as you add a line in the system.ini file under [vcache] to limit the virtual memory to 512MB so it looks like:

[vcache]
    MaxFileCache=524288

6. adamg

adamg Guest

I just wanted to know as i am thinking of dual booting me/xp so i can run some of my older games on me and everything else on xp, and my pc has 768MB ram.

7. j79zlr

Adding that line in system.ini should make ME fine. You shouldn't have any problems running setup either. Just make sure that the first thing done after setup is that and you should see no problems.

8. adamg

adamg Guest

k thanks

9. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

Well it shouldn't, as I'm running a dual boot win98se/xphome with 512mb ram. The problem you would have is that it takes a long time to boot in win98 (real long time), but when it first loads you wont have a problem. If I remember, I'll time it next time instead of making coffee etc.

ejm

10. j79zlr

the problem is only with more than 512MB of RAM.

11. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

I have found that there are many good freeware programs on the net as long as you are willing to look for them and try them out. I just upgraded my computer (again), and installed 1 gb of ddr memory fully knowing that win98 would play up, it did exactly that. I than found this great little program, XMSDSK. Now win98 has 256 mb ram and a ramdisk of 750 mb, and xphome is happy as none of these changes affect it.

ejm