3d marks?

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by mike09, Aug 7, 2003.

1. mike09

mike09 Moderator

i just installed my new 9500pro :D and i ran 3dMark03 and i got 2883 marks?

my set up is this

p4 2.0 (400 bus)
    768 ram
    40gig harddrive
    soundblaster live
    and the newest 3.6 drivers

i think they seem low. im gonna try 3dmark2001 when its done d/l'ing. what kind of scores should i expect? because when i look at other scores the card is overclocked along with the cpu so i cant compare. thanks in advanced.

2. mike09

mike09 Moderator

i just tested with 3dmark2001se with different settings on the card it my marks ranged from 7500 marks to 9000 with only my norton and sygate open.

3. mike09

mike09 Moderator

seems like i'm talking to my self here. through some tweakin and stuff i got my 2003 score to 3548 and my 2001 score was something like 11000 i think cant remember.

p.s. where can i get programs to overclock this. or do i have to go through bios or something?

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the 3dmark apps are good for testing ones system and finding out its potential performance in a certain situation...

if you need a good tweaking tool... dl the rage3d tweaks from www.rage3d.com

you don't need to go through the bios...

remember... pushing the card too far may cause it to fail.. :)

your system should be able to handle any game on the market @ the moment @ least through 1280x1024 in most cases... so that is definitely good :)

5. mike09

mike09 Moderator

thats nice to hear. i run my games at 1024x768 res but when i was playing CS before fraps told me that i had 60 fps and i dont know if this has anything to do with the new card but i had like 600-800 latency.

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

windows xp limits your refresh rate to 60hz...

you have to change it using a program like ReForce... a search on these forums will reveal a link for it.. and it will set the optimum refresh's for your card for the various resolutions...

7. jumpy

jumpy Guest

And hence your frame rate is limited to 60fps because you must have v-sync enabled. If you're happy with 60hz though :eek:, you can play at higher fps by disabling v-sync.

8. mike09

mike09 Moderator

should i leave fast write on? also what is v-sync? would it detract from the pic quailty. i have a flat panel monitor is 60hz to low? or should it be like 70 or 75?

9. jumpy

jumpy Guest

V-sync is vertical synchronisation, which synchronises the frame rate to your refresh rate which is why you were only getting 60fps at 60hz. 85Hz+ are the kind of refresh rates that you should be looking at, leave v-sync on for normal gaming because much more than 85fps is pretty pointless.

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

flat panels/lcd's, like he says he has, only do 60hz.

mike, leave vsync on for gaming but turn it off if you merely want to see what fps you can get (by teh way, cs is limited to 100fps anyway). vsync prevents tearing so you get a smoother picture.

11. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Actually, LCD's don't have a refresh rate like CRT's. LCD's don't flicker at all, they do have something similar, response time.

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

they do have a refresh rate. mine does 1280x1024 at 60hz, but can do like 85hz at 640x480 or something. it's just the amount of times a second the signal for an entire screen is sent. i'm guessing it's the digital nature of the display that prevents it from getting the 100hz+ rates that crt's get. but it's not important with lcd's to begin with because there is no flicker and the response time is never really capable of keeping up with such a high refresh rate anyway.

response time is a physical limitation on the pixels.. how fast they can go from black to white.