3 Windows Problems I need help fixing :P

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by w0lv3rin3, Oct 3, 2009.

1. w0lv3rin3

w0lv3rin3 The Source Political User

First Error:
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/w0lv3rin3/error02.jpg

When I goto start > run and type in C:\ then hit enter, the run dialog pop ups when usually the C:\ Folder comes up, how do I fix that???

Second Error:
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/w0lv3rin3/error01.jpg

When I click on any of the three objects circled in the image in my start menu (My computer, Control Panel & My Network Places), an error: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel; how do I fix that?

Third Error:

When I use print screen feature, my mouse just disappears and in order to restore order I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL then the windows security dialog comes up and exit it out and everything restores to normal, how do I fix that as well??

thanks for you guys help :p

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Is it bad I can't tell what operating system that is? :)

As far as 1 and 2 I go I would look at repairing file associations, although I'd like to be sure of the OS before suggesting something.

3 I guess could be related, again if you could let me know the OS then a system repair tool might be worth a go if possible, or reinstalling the most recent graphic drivers available might be worth a go.

3. w0lv3rin3

so sorry

Windows XP fully updated

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

For 1 Ditto on EP's suggestion. But I think it is not an option on folders. It sounds like the default action for the command has been changed which is a little frightening. Have you been experimenting with XP "look and feel" changing utilities. What happens when you click browse instead of putting in C: and click Ok?

For 2 right click the icon and check the properties path. It appears to have been changed or corrupted.

For 3 I though that was a registry key taht couild not be changed.... Maybe not, my memory is going.

Options are:
    1 Go looking in the registry for the keys and restore the defaults. Dangerous
    2 If you have used a program to change the look and feel see if it can restore the changes.
    The next is unlikely, but, when in doubt check them.
    3 Long shot - make sure no needed services have been turned off.

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

a reinstall would fix all those issues

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

This file will restore default XP file associations.

Easy File Associations for Windows XP

You want the BAT file that will restore all associations.

If that does not work I would try a repair install before a format/re-install.

7. w0lv3rin3

I found a solution to all three problems, I began testing and messing around with explorer and concluded that my explorer.exe was corrupted so all I did was re-install explorer and everything went back to normal and no more problems without a format or data loss.

Thank you guys so much for all of your help and tips, greatly appreciated