2100 &2700 RAM???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by canadian_divx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

2100 &2700???

if there is a chip of 2100 speed ddr ram in and anouther one of 2700 will it work and will they run at different speeds or run at the slowest one??

2. Burpster

Burpster Guest

would think if they work together ...the fast one would run at the speed of the slowest

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

It will run at the slowest one, 2100 (266mhz). You could of course try and overclock the 2100 to run at 2700. If you have good quality memory this might be easy enough.

4. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

so at least it will work, GOOD lol at the moment i am stuck with 128 and i need more and i have a very limited about of cash, so good and thankd everyone for the info

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

didn't realise individual banks of memory could be oc'd to work @ higher clocks...

would be an interesting notion though for mobo makers to lock individual banks to allow for better oc's :)

6. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Maybe I'm wrong though. I would think he could just set the memory as 333mhz, and if his 266mhz memory could handle those speeds it would run fine. Its not an individual bank working at a higher clock, both at 333mhz, but one is just overclocked to do that speed.

I don't know really, maybe I'm very wrong :D

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

like I said I am no sure either :) hence you may be right lol...

8. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

This is same as trying to send 133mhz into a 100mhz stick its not right ...... you could run the 2700 at 2100 but other way around you risk screwing that 2100 stick ...... ram is backwards compatible is most cases ....... I would set the 2100 as the #1 stickand set the settings in bios to auto detect ram settings .... this should set all the slots to same settings .......

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I don't think you'll screw the memory. The memory just won't have enough time to deliver data before the next request is made which will effectively stop the computer from working until you set it right.

And maybe, if it's really good memory with wide timing margins they may be wide enough to cope with the higher clock speed. Maybe.

10. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Wow, that would have to be pretty damn good memory! A 33% overclock! To get that quality of PC2100 memory, you'd probably be paying as much if not more than a normal stick of PC2700.

11. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Mushkin 2100 Level 2 should be able to do it with some extra volts. But yes, you might as well get cheap brand 2700 for around the same price, but where's the fun in that? ;)

12. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Well, yeah I guess so :)

But, judging by the original poster's previous comment saying he was short on cash, I don't think that "fun" is in the equation. ;)