2 Questions about SATA & Basic v Dynamic Disc

mac1

OSNN Addict
hi
I am just about to format and reinstall everything because i have changed things around in my computer so i need some help with 2 things i am not sure about.

I now have 3 H/D's partitioned into 2 drives, as below. these H/D's are all Online/BASIC/ NTFS.

Q:1 Would i be better to convert them to Dynamic Disc's or not. also if so would i lose all my data on my store drives. what are the benefits if any.

My H/D Setup.

Disc-0 Master = HD-1 = 120Gb Samsung SP120 3N, partition-1 = (C:)WinXP Pro, partition-2 = (D:)Drive-1 Store-1

Disc-1 Slave = HD-2 = 120Gb WD1200BB-00DWA0, partition-1 = (E:)Drive-2 Store-1, partition-2 = (F:)Drive-2 Store-2

Disc-2 Slave = HD-3 = 200Gb MAXTOR-6B200P0, partition-1 = (G:)Drive-3 Store-1, partition-2 = (H:)Drive-3 Store-2

Drive= (I:)= CD-Rom = NEC-DVD-RW-DL

Next part
When my computer boots there is a message on the screen which says, "see below". When i pres TAB and go into the User Window nothing seems to happen and WinXP just boots as normal.
My motherboard is Jetway V600DAP with SATA/RAID ect,

message on boot screen
Scan Devices
Press <TAB> Key into User Window.
Serial-CH0 Master: No Device
Serial-CH1 Master: No Device

Q-2 I am not sure whats this for, am i missing something or is my motherboard just looking for SCSI H/Drives. There is a VIA RAID tool loaded when i install my motherboard drivers, but when i use it it says, (No stand-alone disk and No usable disk array attached, please check if any disk array is broken.)

My drives are SATA Serial ATA Drives, if i am correct? hope so.

hope someone can help.

Dynamic is only useful if you are using software RAID. So if you're not, use Basic.

mac1 said:
message on boot screen
Scan Devices
Press <TAB> Key into User Window.
Serial-CH0 Master: No Device
Serial-CH1 Master: No Device

My drives are SATA Serial ATA Drives, if i am correct? hope so.

That is the ViaRaid bios screen that you push TAB to enter and needs to be enabled even for single SATA drives attached to the controller. I hate to tell you this but if you are seeing no device on those two channels then your drives are not SATA.

Dunno if it is the same but on some PC's with SATA I have noticed it takes longer fopr th drives to initilise.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back