1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong Wow

Internet users in Hong Kong can now browse the internet at speeds that UK residents only dream about.

Hong Kong Broadband Network has launched a new ultra fast service. The symmetric 1Gbps service costs approximately £112 per month, but obliterates the kind of speeds we are used to in the UK. We are eagerly waiting for the rollout of an 8Mbps service and consider that to be fast.

While this kind of speed is unlikely to be available in the UK for some time, the possibilities for its use are immense. Large publishers could offer direct download services for their games, online gaming could be revolutionised and TV channels could be streamed at MPEG-2 DVD quality. It is hard to actually imagine speeds reaching 1Gbps in the UK, but we can dream.

News Source

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

erm.. i've already posted this last week. :p
  3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Copenhagen, Denmark
    it doth take the piss, as the arch bishop of canterbury might say, who would have thought the bottleneck of the internet would be a users hard drive :)
  4. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Fife; Scotland
    personally i would like to see the entire brittish network revamped and for every home to own an IP phone. The standard speed should be 2mbps, it should also be symetrical. The 2mbps connection should cost around £20 per month with a minimum or 40gb per month cap (obviously no cap would be nice).

When that day comes, i will be happy :p
  5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

It started today, you can post things 2 years in advance, people forget.
  6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Midlands, England
    Yet again, more proof of the UK's pathetic connectivity. Joy.