100mb/s network runs slow

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Powerchordpunk, Nov 30, 2003.

1. This problem has probably been heard a thousand times but...

I have a network with all 10/100 NICs on autosense and all connected to a 10/100 router with Cat5 cabling. Why do my network transfers go slower then 100 Megabytes/sec? thx all.

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

because they are 100 megabits per second, ~ 12.5 MB/s but you'll reallt never get that, usually somewhere around 50% to a little more. Too many factors involved to list.

3. whoops meant megabits. i guess there is too much garbage stuff to go wrong along the 8 feet of cabling between rooms.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

But how slow is slow in this case? You should see speeds of 6-8 Mbytes/s when copying files. What do you get?

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

The longer the cable the more intereference there is affecting the data transfer.
    You can reduce interference by looking to some more expensive cables that have thicker shielding.

6. I get around 8-10. I caluclated and got a little miffed when it was at 70mbits.

7. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

My Network (10/100 Full Duplex, mostly) copies files between comptuers at aobut 8-10MB/s (megabytes per second). Thats FTP over the LAN to my FreeBSD Server, which is a pretty good speed. I'd say everything is working perfectly.

JJB

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Normal unshielded CAT5 is good for 300ft. His cable is 8ft. ;)

Powerchordpunk: I agree with JJB6486, it sounds like your network is running really smoothly.

9. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

And i would agree, the 100Mb/s doesn't mean transfers will go at 100Mb/s ;)