ZoneAlarm and PGP 9 conflict that cause email scanning problem

Mapotholik

OSNN Junior Addict
The email scanning feature of ZoneAlarm security suite doesn't work because of a conflict with installed PGP 9.​
when I'm trying the enable the email virus scanning I get this message (see pic).​
Does anyone know of an solution that will allow me to use email scanning without removing PGP?​
Thanks,​

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 97
Zone Alarm has a lot of conflicts with other software. This is the reason I never use it. About the only thing I can tell you is to dump it and try something else, or, go to older version. Did you check the Zone Labs support board ?

Johnny said:
Zone Alarm has a lot of conflicts with other software. This is the reason I never use it. About the only thing I can tell you is to dump it and try something else, or, go to older version. Did you check the Zone Labs support board ?

Thanks,
i've tried Zone Labs support board now and didn't found solution there.

What other security suit can you recomment me for windows XP?

Thanks,

What version are you using of ZoneAlarm - is this the free version or the paid for version? I have used it extensively myself, and I think it's a great product. It's amazing the level of support and configuration they offer even on the free level.

Johnny said:

You have to be the most negative person I have ever encountered when it comes to software. From what I have seen in the past, if you don't know how to use or do something, you think the software is crap and should not be used. The ONLY useful thing in your post was to suggest the support forums. Sure, if something doesn't work, just go with something else. Who wants to try and solve something, right?

I been using zone alarm since it came out, kc. I know what it can do. Look at the support forums they have and you will see. There are a lot of programs I like. It is just that there are two I hate more than anything - Symantec is the other one. Also, you would be surprised what I can do. Just because I say I don't like a program does not mean I don't know how to use it.

After researching your troubles, I was only able to get some info off the pgp forum, and after reading some similiar issues poeple had, regarding ZA and pgp email issues.

It was a conflict between the LSP's of PGP 9 and Zone Alarm.

The solution was to uninstall ZA and PGP thouroughly by searching/deleting all pgp dll's and then reinstalling it BEGINNING with PGP.

After that it worked.

and this was a statement by PGP themselves..

The PGP Release Notes state:

"ZoneAlarm Security Suite / ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus: The architecture of the ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus product prevents automatic scanning of email for viruses when installed on a system with PGP Desktop 9.0.x for Windows."

there seems to be some animosity between the two, ZA forums have deleted questions regarding PGP questions and their suite. with issues never resolved.

Many users of PGP have switched to a alternative Anti-Virus and firewall.
Some recommended combinations mentioned by PGP users that have had not had any issues: AVG/Outpost

tdinc said:
After researching your troubles, I was only able to get some info off the pgp forum, and after reading some similiar issues poeple had, regarding ZA and pgp email issues.

and this was a statement by PGP themselves..

The PGP Release Notes state:

there seems to be some animosity between the two, ZA forums have deleted questions regarding PGP questions and their suite. with issues never resolved.

Many users of PGP have switched to a alternative Anti-Virus and firewall.
Some recommended combinations mentioned by PGP users that have had not had any issues: AVG/Outpost

Thanks a lot. so what alternative suit is the best except norton?

Well, I personally do not use a suite. I have seperate anti-virus and a desktop firewall......I did mention, in my last post that users of PGP have used the combination of AVG and Outpost.....I dont use PGP so I couldn't answer that question for you.

But based on what you're looking for is a suite.

here is a list I compiled so you can examine and see for yourself.

eTrust Internet Security Suite

PC-cillin Internet Security

Kaspersky Personal Security Suite

Platinum 2006 Internet Security

F-Secure Internet Security 2006

THe only two AV solutions anyone should be considering are those based either on the NOD32 engine or those using the Kaspersky and RAV engines.

No desktop user ever has, does or will need any form of firewall on their networks/pc's, least of all ZoneAlarm.

I don't really use an antivirus. But when I do? I use AVG. Then, most people on here know how much I support that one. As for a firewall? I use a nat router from netgear and windows firewall.

supporting a product is usually a waste of time when its no good johnny :p

LordOfLA said:
supporting a product is usually a waste of time when its no good johnny :p

yeah, especially when it's zone alarm. Heck, a peace of tin foil and shrink wrap are better than that :p

And where do you get the information that Zone Alarm is all that bad ?

LordOfLA said:
THe only two AV solutions anyone should be considering are those based either on the NOD32 engine or those using the Kaspersky and RAV engines.

No desktop user ever has, does or will need any form of firewall on their networks/pc's, least of all ZoneAlarm.

This has to be the most backwards recommendation ever. Noone needs an antivirus, but a firewall is a must.

I think a firewall and AV are a good 1-2 punch myself :)

Shamus MacNoob said:
And where do you get the information that Zone Alarm is all that bad ?

o.k .. I wasn't going to take this too far, but, truthfully speaking, I like the free version of zone alarm. The only problem I have is that it conflicts with to many other programs. It is a pain in the butt to set up when running certain programs that require Internet access - Other wards, you will set it to allow it but it still won't. - It is also one that is next to impossible to remove from your computer. Sure they say to do some things and show you what to look for. But, what they don't show you what is left; the hidden files. You can go threw the uninstall process and do all the things they say to remove and delete, then when you reinstall it the same info that the old one had will still be there.

Also, there are numerous occasions where uninstalling it caused the Internet connection to be lost. In order to fix it you had to either do a reformat or reinstall and uninstall it a couple of times.

I have used the free ZoneAlarm product extensively on personal and professional level PCs. I have to admit at first it can be a bit "aggressive" blocking any and everything trying to access the internet, but that is the point of the product. It is a bi-directional firewall, so things that are going in and out will be monitored. As long as you check "remember this action", before you click "Allow" or "Deny", it will, in fact, remember your action. Wow, what a concept :eek:

One thing to remember is that the free ZoneAlarm is free. Last I checked, that's pretty cheap. I have yet to see another free firewall solution that is as effective, and GUI friendly for the user who might not be very tech savy. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but the general public doesn't always agree with you.

Just my .02

Actually I will say that alot of people do agree though. I used ZA a few years ago, and it was fine until one day it just decided to stop working. That seems to be its MO. Very much like Norton. It works fine and then just decides it no longer wants to work. I've seen this happen countless times, user's PC starts acting funny, no spyware or viruses about, uninstall Zone Alarm and back to normal. I still use Sygate's old free edition on my Windows PC's, of course they got bought by Norton and destroyed.

ZA is intelligent though (although it may be a bad choice of words) in the sense that it learns browsing activities. All it takes is for someone to click allow or block on the wrong program, and things can go down hill.

To each their own, but IMO it's a great program from the freeware department.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back