Zomg AMD ownzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Computer Upgrade - Finally

And another point not mentioned from your AMD owned link

Stability is an important topic for professional-level situations, and there were some surprises in this respect: with the Intel system, three motherboards with the nForce SLI chipset turned out to be problematic. There were several crashes, and in one case the voltage regulator even burned out.
The only thing that could help stabilize the system was to combine the Intel CPU with the Intel chipset, which then of course rules out a SLI graphics configuration. However, in exchange, the user does gain the benefit of stability - our Intel system ran for 14 days without a problem. The AMD system ran smoothly from the start, which leads us to conclude that the nForce SLI basis is stable with the AMD platform. The only downside was that after long periods of operation, the AMD machine wouldn't shut down via software.

In the end, we can conclude that the Intel Pentium 840 EE should be used with a motherboard that has the Intel 955X chipset. We do not recommend its use with a board with NVIDIA's nForce4 SLI chipset.

With the AMD platform you've only got one option, which fortunately is stable: to combine the AMD platform with a motherboard based on NVIDIA's nForce4 SLI chipset. The results of our stress test show that the nForce4 SLI chipset for the AMD platform has matured

wwwdjrcs said:
Maybe not, but you sure seem to keep track of my posts so you can give me sh*t about something :)

lol

this brings back the good ol STCC memories

We use Dells here at work and have 22 unites in boxes that I am in the process of handing out to replace the compaq's we used, I think for work Dell is fine its not like people do anything more than word, excel and lotus notes , the ones that run autocad and such get by ok, but I have seen that the number of problems we are having with units is rather high , 2 power supply's in less then 6 monthes on 5 units is high numbers , 2 moniters on 15 units both less than 3 monthes use. But we have GOLD service and the company I work for dont really care about the $ they gave an exclusive contract to Dell which in return saves us about 400,000$ over the next 2 years.

In a pro-level situation we'd never go with an SLI chipset.

If you think about that for a second anyone who works with something like CAD or Graphics design are looking long and hard at SLI and Crossfire

Either way enjoy your new machine its always nice to get a new toy.

ps: I am pretty sure your cpu is a 90nm

My 3 year old system at home eats AutoCAD alive, reads Norton for breakfast and cranks out BF2 for lunch.

:) oh. it's an old p4 2.4 533

Last edited:

madmatt said:
All Intel 900 series processors use 65nm; including the processor he purchased. I'd source it but you can look it up yourself at http://www.intel.com.

The Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme Edition 955 is Intel's first desktop dual-core product on the 65 nm process. The processors use Flip-Chip Land Grid Array (FC-LGA6) package technology, and plug into a 775-land surface mount, Land Grid Array (LGA) socket, referred to as the LGA775 socket. The Pentium processor Extreme Edition 955, like the Intel® Pentium® D processor on 90 nm process in the 775-land package, use the Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture and maintains the tradition of compatibly with IA-32 software.

Seems there not all 65nm try again

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a thread LOL

Its censorship ..

Cant ask a valid question because >?

lolol just another dictatorship in action

I never said Intel was not good for CAD you need to learn to read

I said SLI and Crossfire are very valid for graphics design where I was told SLI is not for professionals

And the title is not right either , I think AMD and Intel have good products but in some area's AMD has an advantage thats all . nothing as biased as the person that made this thread title is claiming

Kermit, I don't think it was asking questions, more about steering the thread into a processor debate. If Derek had asked for that to happen then it would have been fine, but he did start the thread.

Just from experience, I installed 75 Dell machines at work last summer and haven't had a single issue so far. I'm pretty impressed since that's a lot of machines to have a flawless experience with. You'd think at some point you're guaranteed to get one bad apple. None so far, though! :)

No I asked why he went with that choice but it was moot he got a Dell he had no choice

other than that it was a simple question , so what if people disscuss CPU's in a thread OMG its not like it is a crime , people react to things in a funny manner around here time after time , I am not allowed to post my opinion because it gets put into a microscope where any other time all over people can post their opinions no matter topic or not ... I dont really care I am used to this by now and will be banned again and why because I am me ... it is always the same person that picks my posts out and I can be called a troll for asking a simple question thats really funny but thats how it is .

Convenience is worth something these days.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
The Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme Edition 955 is Intel's first desktop dual-core product on the 65 nm process. The processors use Flip-Chip Land Grid Array (FC-LGA6) package technology, and plug into a 775-land surface mount, Land Grid Array (LGA) socket, referred to as the LGA775 socket. The Pentium processor Extreme Edition 955, like the Intel® Pentium® D processor on 90 nm process in the 775-land package, use the Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture and maintains the tradition of compatibly with IA-32 software.

Seems there not all 65nm try again
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/body_view_pd.htm

muzikool said:
Just from experience, I installed 75 Dell machines at work last summer and haven't had a single issue so far. I'm pretty impressed since that's a lot of machines to have a flawless experience with. You'd think at some point you're guaranteed to get one bad apple. None so far, though! :)

Besides a couple of power supply issues, and some mobos going haywire, no complaints here either. The GX280s are silent!

I'm with Muz and MS. I've purchased, setup, and maintained 100's of Dell's over the years.

I've only had one hardware problem and it just so happened to be my work PC. And I've only had one problem with a LCD flat panel (which they replaced no questions asked).

I've also had experience with Dell Laser Printers which are awesome (although they are just rebranded Lexmark's).

The only let down with intel's current dual-core cpu's is that its just as bad as putting 2 intel cpu's on a motherboard - one of the cores proxies the requests of the other for system io.

AMD's dual core gives both cores full phyisical access over a cross bar switch.

You could compare it to running a lan on a 10mbit hub instead of a 10mbit switch - if all the nodes on a hub are busy transferring data all the nodes slow down. If all the nodes on a switch are transferring data, there is no slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back