ZA Identifies AIM as "logger"

Magnum

OSNN Junior Addict
Just got the update for ZA, v6 with AntiSpyware.

When I started AIM (5.2) an alert popped up saying something similar to "AOL Instant Messenger is trying to monitor your keystrokes and mouse movements". Is this just a "fluke" or something to be concerned about?

Anyway, I denied it access and the program works just fine. Just wondering what this is.

AIM is bad news..Its a sponge for spyware and worms. As with any IM program you have to watch out for for that. I cant believe people are still using AIM :s

Then I guess MSN did it too...

MSNSpy.jpg

So if I deny access to them, they shouldn't see it? It's not like I have anything to hide or am paranoid, but it's just interesting to me...

:dead:

Thanks for the link. :)

Mastershakes said:
They recently changed their user agreement

here's a blog http://www.benstanfield.com/thrash/2005/03/aol_eavesdrops_.html

basically the gist is this. they own EVERYTHING you do on AIM. If you discuss your patent-pending ideas on the next cancer cure for instance - they OWN it.

I stopped using AIM for that reason, well that and no one I kno uses it anymore.

As far as the MSN popup, Im pretty sure Trillian doesnt :D

ummm... the msn deal isn't quite the same. You know when you step away from your comp and come back? just b4 you sit down and rustle the mouse and keyboard, look at your little green dude in the system tray. See that clock? for AWAY?

when you touch your mouse or keyboard, you will notice that it loses the little away clock.... whether you opened an MSN window or not. (msnmsgr.exe needs to 'monitor' your keyboard and mouse, to determine your status)

This is not verified of course, only IMO.... I will research it for ya.

Yeah your theory about MSN makes sense, it's probably true.

As for AIM, what about using encryption? I know one of my buddies had it for awhile but now it's gone. Funny it disappeared around the same time as that blog article appeared.

chalk that up to more of ZoneAlarms stupid false positives, AIM, MSN, YIM, etc are all perfectly safe to use with some common sense. All this fuss about privacy on other peoples networks is rather moot.

If any of you happen to use my servers for instance, you will know that they log every single thing you type, where you connected from, how long you were connected, etc.

Email users will know that myself and other admins can and do peruse email stored or transmitted to make sure nothing unwanted is passing through, etc.

MSN, AIM, YIM, etc all probably do the same all the time. Nothing new, nothing to worry about and nothing you have any say over unless you buy the networks.

Admiral Michael said:
As far as the MSN popup, Im pretty sure Trillian doesnt :D

Trillian is the shiznite ;) The only offical IM client I like is....ummm...well none of them...Trillian has a great GUI and its spyware and worm free, in fact its free free too (unless you want pro)

LordOfLA said:
Email users will know that myself and other admins can and do peruse email stored or transmitted to make sure nothing unwanted is passing through, etc.

You may want to add that to your terms of service.

if im not mistaken going through the aim servers using trillian still lets them have owner ship. probaly in the check boxes for the damn handle sign up heh.

I stopped using aim for the simple fact that it is the biggest crock of crap app out there. The new one is the worst one yet, I have never had a program in that caused so much greif and haert ache. It was full of malware/spyware pc crashing garbage .. I mostly use trillian for AIM and ICQ ..

Aim is a keylogger, it has been for a long time. People are just now catching on that it is. And yes, it's true, anything you discuss on their belongs to AOL. even if you are talking about donating your liver to someone, you will have to clear it with AOL, since they will own it ..

The new MSN messenger on the other hand is awesome, I like it a lot ..

zeke_mo said:
Trillian is the shiznite ;) The only offical IM client I like is....ummm...well none of them...Trillian has a great GUI and its spyware and worm free, in fact its free free too (unless you want pro)

I do actually pay for Trillian Pro, the best IM program around. Few bugs but meh better then MSN IMO.

VenomXt said:
if im not mistaken going through the aim servers using trillian still lets them have owner ship. probaly in the check boxes for the damn handle sign up heh.

If your talking to me, I dont use AIM permently! Because of changes to the agreement and also no one I know uses it, its all MSN and a few ppl on ICQ and Yahoo.

I try to reserve yahoo for OSNN ppl. Only have 2 ppl so far tho. (JJB6486 and Kcnychief)

HA sadly i use aim because everyone i know uses it. (about 60 people) but here you have my name now sray@coz minus the @ so now you have someone that uses it that you will probaly never talk to on it. ... its too early problay best to not listen to anything i say. I need coffee.. bad.

VenomXt said:
HA sadly i use aim because everyone i know uses it. (about 60 people) but here you have my name now sray@coz minus the @ so now you have someone that uses it that you will probaly never talk to on it. ... its too early problay best to not listen to anything i say. I need coffee.. bad.
There is no talk of not using the aim network. Simply use trillian to get on it, not the AIM client itself ... You won't have as many probs with it .. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back