Your ultimate laptop?

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
What would be the main selling point for you when choosing a laptop?

Do you prefer speed/power, size, battery life, screen size, features?

What features would you love to see on a laptop/tablet that you have never seen or what would you like to see more of or less of - eg 56k modems or parallel ports (who uses those these days?)

Speed/power and weight/size.

Speed is definitely one of my top priorities, coupled with battery power. If either of those are lame then it's almost not worth it!

speed's always the most important thing... but i also dont like displays over 15'', cos they make it too big to carry around comfortably

oh... and i'd love to see more laptops with discrete graphics solutions... onboard sucks :p

1. speed/power
2. size
3. battery life
4. screen size
5. features

All laptop combinations can contain 5. You can choose only two out of the four others due to mutual exclusivity. Until batteries have some kind of revolutionary improvement, laptops are in a tremendous rut.

My personal choice would be 5, 4, and 1. Unless you live in a coffin, size isn't all that important; just carry a backpack/briefcase. Who really needs the extra two inches? Wherever I use my laptop, I'm going to be sitting down anyway. If I REALLY needed a tiny laptop, I'd only using grudgingly and would probably just purchase it as a secondary machine.

Ideally, I'd want a laptop with excellent low-power features. Battery life can be skirted easily in this way. If I'm just browsing the web or something, it would be nice if the processor had a quick switch to 800MHz-1GHz. Maybe if I'm doing some massive photo editing or hardcore gaming, I'll turn it back up according to the game I'm playing.

As far as features go, I don't need a whole lot outside of Wifi/3g/gigabit ethernet connectivity and a second monitor port. Eight USB ports would be all I'd need for connection. Anything a person needs (56k modem, external drives, cameras, game controllers, printers) is modular and fits the "universal" descriptor well.

Last edited:
How do you mean revolutionary? Obvious a battery that lasts ages (without having to disable wifi, bluetooth, make it single core and knock the contrast down so you can barely see it), something that charges quickly? Both?! Something smaller? (batteries make up a huge part of smaller laptops)

The Ferrari 1000 is tiny and initially I was disappointed that the 3D video was so poor, but I haven't really found myself playing games on it and have appreciated the fact it is tiny so much more.

Having sometihng I can take around the world with me (and its been all over) that is tiny, has wireless n and generally looks great has been a big plus. The battery really sucks tho, in some cases I might get 30 minutes from it!

Eight USB ports is asking a little much, I think we will be stuck with 2 for now, but integrated bluetooth means you cna pretty much connect anything to it and I know the Ferrari has its own random docking connection (why not standardise that?) and a Firewire port I have never used.

Price
Comes with XP instead of VISTA (see my upcoming rant about the lappy I just bought)
Good range on it's wifi
Ruggedness
Weight
Battery good for at least 3 hours under real load
4 USB (mouse, keyboard, thumb, +)
Runs cool, this one makes a great heatpad for sports injuries...

Looking forward to seeing your rant, as I got an Acer preloaded with Vista before Vista was out I didn't really get to see the proper out of box experience so will be interesting to read about a proper experience.

I want a 13" notebook or so, widescreen with an anti-glare coating and excellent visibility (read, contrast/color/brightness), high-res, less than 1" thick with a quad-core proc, very low TDP, 7hr plus battery life and weight sub 4lb's with a decent sized keyboard (backlit option) and vista capable feature set (i.e. sideshow) and a top of the line graphics card with a minimum of 512mb ddr4 dedicated. At less than a thousand bucks (or about 5 quid)

:cool:

I haven't really found myself playing on it and have appreciated the fact it is tiny so much more.

Having something I can take around the world with me (and its been all over) that is tiny and generally looks great has been a big plus and in some cases I might get 30 minutes from it!

You can pretty much connect anything to it and I know it has its own random docking connection (why not standardise that?) and a port I have never used.

:eek:

Thought this was a family-oriented forum?

:lick:

I want a 13" notebook or so, widescreen with an anti-glare coating and excellent visibility (read, contrast/color/brightness), high-res, less than 1" thick with a quad-core proc, very low TDP, 7hr plus battery life and weight sub 4lb's with a decent sized keyboard (backlit option) and vista capable feature set (i.e. sideshow) and a top of the line graphics card with a minimum of 512mb ddr4 dedicated. At less than a thousand bucks (or about 5 quid)

:cool:

Me too. Looks like we're made for each other.

How do you mean revolutionary? Obvious a battery that lasts ages (without having to disable wifi, bluetooth, make it single core and knock the contrast down so you can barely see it), something that charges quickly? Both?! Something smaller? (batteries make up a huge part of smaller laptops)

The Ferrari 1000 is tiny and initially I was disappointed that the 3D video was so poor, but I haven't really found myself playing games on it and have appreciated the fact it is tiny so much more.

Having sometihng I can take around the world with me (and its been all over) that is tiny, has wireless n and generally looks great has been a big plus. The battery really sucks tho, in some cases I might get 30 minutes from it!

Eight USB ports is asking a little much, I think we will be stuck with 2 for now, but integrated bluetooth means you cna pretty much connect anything to it and I know the Ferrari has its own random docking connection (why not standardise that?) and a Firewire port I have never used.

I have not yet entered your world of this..."Blue-tooth" yet, so I forgot about its usefulness; all my stuff is wired at the moment. Some batteries are relatively far better than others, but it would be nice to see a genuine jump in energy storage technology. What we have today is still just glorified voltaic piles. These little hydrogen cell thingys show a lot of promise. Or if not promise, at least some innovation beyond "metal and electrolyte" that has been in use for over two hundred years.

one that is built into my eyeball and runs off my brain, unlimited ram with infinite speed, running on Windows 95, oh, and at least 2 usb ports, and a firewire - just in case.

Whatever Apple decides to throw into a package, and looks sleek? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back