Your Opinions: iphone vs smartphone

Let's have it. :)
the iphone looks like an incredible machine but from what I read they are trying to force you to switch carriers to get it, it's only provided to one of them, this to me makes it a no option

second thing is Steve refuses to allow any other apps to run other then the one his company writes, this to me is a no opt also

I will be very surprised and disappointed if I see this marketing strategy work for them, I am hoping people will be insulted and boycott the hardware because they don't want to be led around on a lease

but it is an incredible machne, I don't think the microsoft version is even close

The iPhone has nothing on Windows Mobile besides the interface. What good is a fancy interface if you can't do anything with it? No Push, no third party applications, NO 3G, no keyboard (only a touchscreen).

Honestly, what good is the interface if it's not functional. As a business professional it serves no use. I'll take a device from HTC over the iPhone any day.

All flash and no go.

The iPhone has nothing on Windows Mobile besides the interface. What good is a fancy interface if you can't do anything with it? No Push, no third party applications, NO 3G, no keyboard (only a touchscreen).

Honestly, what good is the interface if it's not functional. As a business professional it serves no use. I'll take a device from HTC over the iPhone any day.

All flash and no go.
I agree with your entire post, however that interface is REALLY attractive

it looks easy to emulate but it's so smooth in the videos I am really impressed.

anyway, off to work, cookies later when I can give them out again

Madmatt's post pretty much sums it up. A lot of people (including myself) are looking at the iPhone and wondering what it has outside of a slick interface. The Hermes wins in the functionality department big time, so I'm sticking with that.

Personally, I feel it's the new Razr: not cutting edge, but stylish and attractive enough for the masses to buy them in huge quantities.

From Apple's recent shareholder meeting:

Jobs did acknowledge that the company is still struggling to decide if third-party developers will be able to create software that will run on the iPhone. It’s a decision Apple “is wrestling with,” according to Jobs.

I think it will be a big mistake if 3rd party apps are ultimately denied. Otherwise I think the iPhone will be outstanding.

As for the keyboard -- the fact that there isn't one is a feature. It may not end up being a great feature, but I applaud them for trying something different aside from cramming all those buttons on there. Beyond aesthetic purposes, one of the primary benefits is that the entire phone can be upgraded since it's all software.

Is it just me or shouldn't this thread wait until the iPhone is released? Right now it's all speculation.

It's not speculation. The phone and ROM has already been set in stone. Anything, such as third party application support will be added in a ROM that is released following general release.

I meant speculation in reference to how the phone operates, the usability, etc. There have been a few hands-on reviews, but they all had limited time with the phone.

I am tossed between the new Blackberry Curve and the iPhone only becasue the iPhone is WIFI... i will probably end with the curve as I am a market analyst with that being the standard in the indsutry i work but the wifi I do wish the curve had... free interent in otherwords...

the iphone looks like an incredible machine but from what I read they are trying to force you to switch carriers to get it, it's only provided to one of them, this to me makes it a no option

second thing is Steve refuses to allow any other apps to run other then the one his company writes, this to me is a no opt also

I will be very surprised and disappointed if I see this marketing strategy work for them, I am hoping people will be insulted and boycott the hardware because they don't want to be led around on a lease

but it is an incredible machne, I don't think the microsoft version is even close

to settle this ... unlocked versions will be available ..but at a substantial premium.

Do ppl want a PHONE or an MP3 player? which of the two comes first? if it's mp3, then ppl will be listening to music like 24/7 and when it comes to receiving a call... the battery dies. :p

I only see it as a PDA with a hard drive for storage. Yes it may have some additional features, and yes it IS stylish. BUT, what can you do on this that you can't already do with a PDA?

Why cant you have both? And if you toast your battery because you are not paying attention then thats your problem. I imagine most people that buy a iPhone are buying it as a toy. Most people who buy Smartphones are usually buying it as a tool, since its more business orientated. Personally, I fall into a minority I have been using smartphones for a couple years just because of preference. I like that you can do so much more with them, but don't have to deal with the size of a PDA.

Sure the iPhone will have a better UI, something the Smartphones needs... but I think they are two entirely different markets, granted with some crossover but the intension's I believe are different.

Why cant you have both? And if you toast your battery because you are not paying attention then thats your problem. I imagine most people that buy a iPhone are buying it as a toy. Most people who buy Smartphones are usually buying it as a tool, since its more business orientated. Personally, I fall into a minority I have been using smartphones for a couple years just because of preference. I like that you can do so much more with them, but don't have to deal with the size of a PDA.

Sure the iPhone will have a better UI, something the Smartphones needs... but I think they are two entirely different markets, granted with some crossover but the intension's I believe are different.

I agree with pretty much your entire post. :)

Having never used either, i have to say the iPhone and all its advertising looks a lot like the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back