Your O/S History ?

Well I heard that Lindows was pretty good But who knows. i wanted to try that but i wopuld have to Pay for software. And that hasnt happened since ummmm early 80s i think :)

Windows 3.1

Windows 95b

Windows 98

Windows 98 SE (very short time)

Windows ME (The best Win9x based version)

Windows 2000 (On my Laptop)

Windows XP H.E.

I am running WinXP and WinME as dual boot..as WinME loves my older games better:) and it runs radically better than Win98...at least on my machine.:p

Windows M.E. does run faster and more optimized than Win98, thats only to be expected as it's newer after-all, I still think it was a huge mistake releasing it. They should have made Windows 2000 Home edition instead.

Well, For me that have games that needs a Win9x core I think that WinME is a better solution than Win98. One could say that Win98 SE should not have been released..but waited until WinME instead ( it is a Win 98 3rd Edition anyway)...but without BSOD in my case...

It is up each and everyone what works best. I liked WinME better than Win 98, not because of speed (can't care less for seconds here and there..and frame rates here and there).
I had more locks and problems with Win 98 than WinME..and at that time I ran different types of PIII computers.

Well, as long as I have need of a system with a Win9x kernel I will use WinME..when that era is gone..I will use whatever is at hand..WinXp as it is now.

dos 6.22
windows 3.1
windows 95
windows 95b
windows 98
windows 98se
windows me
windows nt 4 workstation, server, terminal server
windows 2000 pro, server, advanced server
windows xp home
windows xP pro
windows.net server
redhat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2
mandrake 8.0
slackware 8.1
slackware 9 beta

i am currently dual booting xp pro and slackware 9 at home. personally i have found that windows me has been the worst 9x version of windows and that windows 98se was more stable on it.

i am currently dual booting xp pro and slackware 9 at home
any good? I haven't got round to trying it yet (Was going to wait for the official 9.0 release before diving in)

Has anybody seen this version of linux:

evil-linux.gif

I've been looking for it all over but can't find a copy???

Mubbers

It'll probably be in the same shop as this one....
boxedit.jpg

My first O/Ss are so far back in history that I have dificulty remembering them...and were they on valve driven machines??

TOS (tried a couple of flavors) running with Ease (STe)
Me
Mandrake 8.2 / 2000
Mandrake 8.2 / XP
Mandrake 9.0 / XP / Me

TOK;)

My first O/Ss are so far back in history that I have dificulty remembering them...and were they on valve driven machines??

gothic real name = Alan Turing??? :D

What was that machine called - _________?

(not enigma but the one that broke the enigma code???)

But anyway when did computers first have an operating system?

I posted my list pages back but what was the OS on the Sinclair ZX80. the BBC machines had BBC BASIC.

Mubbers

I was a late bloomer, didn't start with computers until about 1984. Just couldn't afford the darned things. But here's my list:

Texas Instruments TI-99a
Commadore 64
Commadore 128
Commadore 128 on CPM
PC DOS 3.11
MSDOS 4.0
DR-DOS 5.0
DR-DOS 7.0
MSDOS 6.0 w/Win 3.1
Win95
Slackware 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
Mandrake I think it was 6.0
Win98
WinXP

I really like XP, but I still miss the days of the C-64, CPM and calling bullletin boards all hours of the night to download the latest cracked games.

Posted by SPeedY_B
any good? I haven't got round to trying it yet (Was going to wait for the official 9.0 release before diving in)

So far its ok however the only problem i have had is with the linux hotplug scripts, for some reason they make the machine hang during startup. Once i disabled them it runs fine

BBC Model B (8 bit toy)
Atari ST
DOS
Win 3.0
Win 3.1
Win 95
Win 98
Win XP Pro
SuSe 7.3
RedHat 7.2
LibraNet 1.9
Mandrake 8.1
Mandrake 8.2
Mandrake 9.0

Use Windows and play with Linux. (for the time being)

I think it will be another couple of years or so before Linux is ready for the shrink-wrapped masses. Until then most people are better off using Billware. But eventually the Linux bandwagon will catch up with Windows as it is now being driven forwards by economics. That was the reason Windows beat the Mac. It was cheaper. Windows/DOS did not win on ease of use!

I can remember getting to the stage of being ready to move on from my old Atari ST about 11 years ago. I looked at the Mac but it was ridiculously expensive. Despite the horrors of DOS and the early versions of Windows it was the only realistic option.

Eventually history will repeat itself again. Linux is harder than Windows but it is also a lot cheaper. At the end of the day thats what counts to most people/organisations. If M$ achieve their future objective of making everyone rent the OS / Office apps Windows will be finished and Linux will take over. Hopefully by then it will be more user-friendly.

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back