You Will Not Believe This

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Follow this link from the front page & read "Compression to the Max". You won't be sorry you did. Absolutely fantastic. :cool:

I'm sorry I did, it doesn't even work on my system, just goes to a black screen and then back to desktop :confused:

Even better go to the website and check out some of the other demos here
they use a compression ratio of 30000 to 1 or something:eek:

Remember that everything is generated in realtime. Aren't any pre-rendered sequences here. Ain't new either, stuff like this has been around since...forever.. Demoscene, thats what it is - and it's huge - quite qool infact. I was active when I still used my Amiga1200, don't have time for it now.

If it's the first time you've seen it then it is new..........& yes I'm still impressed........no matter how it is done.

all i can say to this is HOLY ****, that is amazing, and now if they can make games with something like that small and still look like UT2K3

Originally posted by figurine
Remember that everything is generated in realtime. Aren't any pre-rendered sequences here. Ain't new either, stuff like this has been around since...forever.. Demoscene, thats what it is - and it's huge - quite qool infact. I was active when I still used my Amiga1200, don't have time for it now.

you have no time for it and yet you have time to spam the thread hmmmm intresting very intresting.....

this is really cool tobad there aren't any screen savers like that, they would be awesome!

Eh, if it was pre-renderd then I would say impressive.

This.... well it's cool, but I will never use it.

Though it could be used for game demos. Not sure what else.

I suppose that the real point of it. At the moment I don't even bother with downloading demos cause I'm on dialup. And now companies are try to severely restrict the amount people download before having to pay more $$$. If people can get their message across in a 64kb file then that's 500% better than a file that comes in megabytes.

Originally posted by almostfamous88
has any1 tried it yet? does it work

Yeah, they do work, on %99 of systems. They are usually coded on specific hardware and aren't tested on multiple configurations in most cases. Sometimes, one of these won't work properly on some hardware setups. A few years ago there were a couple of demo's that wouldn't run on Voodoo based cards. Just the way it goes, it's not like making games or apps where maximum compatability is a must.

BTW, there was some discussion about these in the news thread about these demo's, Here's some of what I replied there about demo's and intro's:

These movies don't display some new form of compression folks, and it can't be applied to other files.

In very simple terms, the main file of each one contains two things, a rendering engine and mathmatical calculations needed to render each movie. That's what makes them so small, no video in any of the files, just formulas and an engine. The exe is compressed, but exe compression is nothing new. Yes, that's right, there is no "video" in any of the files, each movie is rendered, or created, in real time by your hardware.

As for the music, in the 64k catagory demo's (called intro's actually) it's usually done with trackers, resulting in very small audio files that can be included in the exe.

But trackers are limited, so with the larger demo's (up to several mb) you will see MP3's used, but those are a seperate catagory from a size standpoint and the size of the package reflects the use of MP3, Larger demo's can run 4 to 9 mb or so.

Another reason for the small size, they are frequently coded in assembly language.

The 'Demo Scene' has been around for ages, there are actually many groups creating art just like the examples shown here. It's all about creativity and pushing the edge of programming capabilities, showing off your talants as it were. There are scene rules (such as 64k size limit for intro's) and competitions. The whole scene dates back to the Commodore and Amiga days. Search the web and you'll likely find tons more like these, all just as impressive, interesting and unique. The whole scene is just amazing and the people that learn how to do it are just as amazing..... Maybe of some of those guys could go work for Bill, my XP installation wouldn be so damn big !!

Dukey

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back