You learn something new every day!

C

Comptech

This is probally old news, but if anybody gets bored tonight, unhook your sound cables from your cd's to your sound card and put a audio cd in the drive.Guess what? Sound. Using windows xp your sound travels through the IDE cable not the sound cable. Like I said probally old news, but I have never seen it mentioned here.

yeah, pretty common knowledge. 2000 introduced cd audio being taken care of digitally via the ide bus. xp ensured it was the norm. best thing about it is the sound isn't introduced to interference and is sourced to the sound card in it's perfect digital form, opposed to analog.

common knowlege, but worth bringing up cuz who knows how many people out there still have those audio cables cluttering up their cases.

Thanks, Taurus that was my next question. I figured that the regular four pin audio connector from the cd drive was anolog and the spdf cable was digital, so i wanted to find out if the IDE was pure digital. Made sense that it was, just needed to hear it from someone else.

Yeah it's digital. I has to be since IDE is digital. :)

Just as a note: Some older drives have a problem with audio over IDE so they must still use the 4-pin audio cable.

Ok, this brings a few questions to mind:
1.) What about copying a music cd over a master/ slave config on the same IDE? Would this cause too much traffic on the IDE bus for a good rip?
2.) What about ripping over IDE? Is there any noticable degrading in the quality?

I'm just curious in case I run into these questions from friends and family - personally I have all my drives on seperate IDE's, and I'm using sound cables straight into my motherboard...so I don't forsee me running into these problems.

Originally posted by deadzombie
Ok, this brings a few questions to mind:
1.) What about copying a music cd over a master/ slave config on the same IDE? Would this cause too much traffic on the IDE bus for a good rip?
2.) What about ripping over IDE? Is there any noticable degrading in the quality?

I'm just curious in case I run into these questions from friends and family - personally I have all my drives on seperate IDE's, and I'm using sound cables straight into my motherboard...so I don't forsee me running into these problems.

1) you should be able to copy a cd fine from a master to a slave or vise-a-versa. it doesn't matter if it's audio or data, copying works the same. but if one or both of your drives aren't of the best quality, you could run into copying problems, in which case putting them on their own channels might help.

2) ripping digitally (via ide) provides the best quality. to rip with that little analog audio cable would be a joke. tons of fidelity is lost through that thing. just do away with them altogether.

Um, please correct me if I am wrong, but when you rip a CD, aren't you always using IDE? The only time you would've used the audio cable is for CD listenting and for the rare occasion where you want to record direct from the sound card (like maybe ripping a soundtrack from a movie??).

with the ripping programs i've used, they give you the option of ripping via analog. that would be at 1x through the analog cable.

but, yes... ripping via ide is default.

Yes, ripping and copying is always done via the IDE if you do it at more than 1x speed.

what about the headphone plug in the front of your cd rom drive, do you still need to have the auido cable hooked up to the sound card in order for it to work? Or is this sound come straight from the cd that is in there out of that headphone port?

The sound goes straight to the headphone port. No cable needed.

Hey I think this may have started in the "CompUSA ad" thread the other day where I mentioned I was looking for an audio CD cable. I didn't respond Taurus directly but I did note your "it's not needed" advice, and wtf !! I guess I just never thought about not hooking them up and since there's a connection on the cd and on the mobo, well....

All my learning about computers has been from forums like these (since 14.4 dialup dos bbs !!!) which is why I lurk on, you do keep learning!

btw I had a busboy where I was working say to me, when I told him how to do something...

"hey, you learn something new every year!"

(you would have to imagine this guy to appreciate how appropriate it was.....)

anyway, back to madly ripping cords out of my box....

kip

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back