Yet Another Mouse Problem!

B

Bablos

Hi There...

I'd been having problems with the mouse on one of my PCs, in that it would start to stick when trying to move it left-right. Cleaning the mouse didn't solve the problem.

I've since replaced the mouse, but even with a brand new one, the problem still occurs.

Any idea what the problem is? Any suggestions for a solution?

Bablos.

Try uninstalling the mouse in device manager and reboot and let XP reinstall the drivers or, if you need to, reload the drivers yourself.

Hi There...

I've uninstalled the device, and upon reboot, XP is now looking for a file from Logitech Mouseware - I uninstalled this several days ago, so something must still remain of it.

I see the following message;

The file 'L8042Pr2.sys' on Logitech Mouseware Driver Disk is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

D:\Program Files\Logitech\Mouseware\Drivers\WinXP

Could this be the problem? How can I get rid of this? If I just press cancel, the mouse shows up as 'unknown device' in the hardware manager, and the scroll wheel doesn't respond at all.

Bablos.

If you don't already have one, try getting a optic mouse. The drivers seem to be easier to find, (I don't know why) and they are more precise. Hope that helps! :happy:

Hi There...

If you don't already have one, try getting a optic mouse. The drivers seem to be easier to find, (I don't know why) and they are more precise. Hope that helps!

The second mouse I have is an optical mouse - it's one made by (or rather badged as) Chieftec, to match their coloured cases.

Try reinstalling Logitech Mouseware then reboot see if it clears up.

This solves the problem of the missing file, but;

a) My mouse isn't a Logitech one, so why is the system looking for a file from the Logitech install disk?

b) I shouldn't need to have Logitech Mouseware installed just so that I can use a mouse that has nothing to do with them!

c) It takes me back to square one - if I try to uninstall the driver, upon reboot, it just gets recognised as a Logitech compatable PS/2 mouse, and the problems are still there.

d) Surely the system shouldn't be looking for Logitech files if I've already uninstalled Mouseware?

Hope someone can help me out!

Bablos.

Uninstall the Logitech Mouseware either with it's own uninstall or go to "Control Panel" and uninstall from there. Then go into the Regestry and do a search for all listings of "Logitech and remove/delete them (BACK UP YOUR REGESTRY FIRST... Just in case something goes funky). Then reboot and let MicroSquish install it's own drivers for your mouse. See if that clears it all up.

Originally posted by gonaads
Uninstall the Logitech Mouseware either with it's own uninstall or go to "Control Panel" and uninstall from there. Then go into the Regestry and do a search for all listings of "Logitech and remove/delete them (BACK UP YOUR REGESTRY FIRST... Just in case something goes funky). Then reboot and let MicroSquish install it's own drivers for your mouse. See if that clears it all up.

Makes no difference - I run into the same problems outlined above. Despite doing everything I can to rid my machine of Logitech's Mouseware, when I try to get Microsoft to install it's own drivers, it suddenly needs a file from the Logitech Mouseware Driver Disk.

Bablos.

Is this Mouse by any chance made by Logitech... You know like a cheap version of their name brand but with a different name???

If not, but your OS keeps lookin for that file then just install Mouseware and if there are no glitches leave it alone... For now anyway.

Originally posted by gonaads
Is this Mouse by any chance made by Logitech... You know like a cheap version of their name brand but with a different name???

Haven't a clue - no sign of manufacturer on the mouse, other than 'Chieftec' on the top of the mouse.

Bablos.

Well their web site doesn't have a link to any drivers... Hmmmmm, did it come with a CD with drivers and such???

Take a look in the device manager and see if any other mouses are listed. If they are, delete them. You may have a conflict of some sort that is causing the machine to look for your Logitec mouse. Hope this helps.

Yes that is a good idea, but if you do it in "Safe Mode" *Device Manager* will list all of them if there is more than one and they did not get fully removed. Then just delete them all, use your keyboard to close out Windoz and reboot. Then Windoz will install new mouse.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back