Yet Another Dead Ati Card

Well I will be popping back to PCworld in a hour hopefully to get my money back :)

Sorry Lord, but I strongly disagree with this. A quad core is massive over kill, a good dual core is fine. As for the GPU even a 9500GT has the same or better decoding abilities as the 8800GT as that is the point of hardware acceleration.

Apart from it cooking itself I had no problems with Bluray playback (no dropped frames etc).

I have a good dual core, e6700 couldn't play blu-ray without dropping frames, even with hardware assistance.

Even now with my quad-core - its sitting up around 50% on all 4 cores with hardware decode assist enabled.

The 9000 series has exactly the same decode ability as the 8800GT. The 8800GT and the 512mb GTS use the G92 chip, which is the same chip as found in the 9000 series.

I have a C2Q and am very disappointed with dual core performance since using a quad every day. It may be overkill for an office PC but if you do alot of everything you might wonder how you ever got along without one. Recoding an 8.5GB DVD to 4.6GB with DVD Shrink takes about 6-8 minutes, games load fast even while folding SMP, I couldn't go back now. But if it is HTPC used for movie playback only, you might be OK with dual core, even though it uses more system resources. Just make sure you have adequate cooling, especially if it is a HTPC case.

Well, I never had a dropped frame personally..... I guess it also depends on the software your using. Anyway I went to PCWorld and they were actually alot more helpful than I was expecting! Managed to swap for this beastie:-

Runs cooler, a lot less noise, a better make and cheaper. So pleased on all fronts. Got my RMA from OCUK now so will be sending back the dead Asus sound card, hopefully then I will be up and running again :)
MHandler.ashx

Last edited:
Glad to report back all is now good and I have finally managed to watch Kill Bill Part 1 ;)
Now all I need back is my sound card :)

For your information my CPU was at 20% total load while the bluray was playing at full 1080P with uncompressed 5.1 audio :D

I shall have to have stern words with my e6700 by not playing blu-ray properly it cost me money :(

Inicdentally how does RE3 playback? That was the film I needed to upgrade for :)

I shall have to have stern words with my e6700 by not playing blu-ray properly it cost me money :(

Incidentally how does RE3 playback? That was the film I needed to upgrade for :)

Is that resident evil 3?
if so I don't have it, what audio track has it got and i will see if I have anything comparible..

I tried to take a screen shot last night but the video just came out black.
The new gfx card is running nice a quiet too :)

I have also ordered a pci slot fan controller, so I should be able to up the fan speed slightly.

Attachments

• DSC_12506_360.jpg
    DSC_12506_360.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 104
You can up the fan speed with ntune or whatever nvidia call it these days.

The audio was DTS trueHD 7.1, it's a very high bit-rate video too.

Sorry the fan controller is for the case fans :)

I should have something comparable to that DVD I will give it a try. I am running TMT as my media player which supports full hardware decoding :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back