Yes, Keep Defragment Enabled With SSD, Windows 10

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
Counterintuitively, a person should NOT turn off auto defrag when they install an ssd. (this advice applies to windows ten seven and eight)

However Windows 10, (scott says 7 and 8 also received a defrag update), not only recognizing you have ssd, but also using a different, less invasive method for defragging your ssd, this defrag is set ON if you have system restore enabled, I recommend TURNING IT ON even if you do not use system restore.

This new type of deffrag does indeed increase performance, and does indeed increase the life of your ssd.

Scott Hanselman for Microsoft, blog post, http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

...It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit maximum file fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.”

Windows is not foolishly or blindly running a defrag on your SSD every night, and no, Windows defrag isn’t shortening the life of your SSD unnecessarily. Modern SSDs don’t work the same way that we are used to with traditional hard drives. Your SSD’s file system sometimes needs a kind of defragmentation and that’s handled by Windows, monthly by default, when appropriate. The intent is to maximize performance and a long life. If you disable defragmentation completely, you are taking a risk that your filesystem metadata could reach maximum fragmentation and get you potentially in trouble.

IN ADDITION, this new type of defrag actually INCREASES ssd life; the newer defrag addresses "trim"

TRIM lets the operating system notify the SSD that a page is no longer in use and this hint gives the SSD more information which results in fewer writes, and theoretically longer operating life.

If your SSD has a sandforce controller it handles the defragmentation ad trim automatically and then it should be disabled in windows to prevent performance problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back