Yamaha CD RW not Win XP compatible?

T

thom

I've got a Yamaha CD RW recorder (16x10x40) Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it for a month now, ever since I installed WinXP.

The OS sees the CD unit - i.e. it's in the folder "This Computer". But I can neither burn nor play any CDs with it...

I've tried grabbing Force ASPI and also installing Nero instead of Easy CD Creator, but to no avail - sometimes Nero even reports that the burn went perfectly, when in fact the burner

never even started. At other times the CDR program (Nero or Easy) just say that there is no CD recorder available, and asks me to put a cd in the drive, despite there all ready being one.

One thing that might be the problem is that I seem to have two installments of Win XP Professional, though only one of them actually works - but I can still choose between them at start-up, despite having removed the Windows folder belonging to the 2nd ...

Does anyone here know how you remove the non working start-up option?

Any suggestions on other things that might be causing the problem would also be much appreciated! I think I've downloaded every fix imaginable from Easy and Nero and Yamaha's site doesn't seem to have any mentioning of my problem :-( - at least I can't find any...

Does anyone here know how you remove the non working start-up option?

i think u can go to msconfig by typing on run dialog msconfig, and then u can change/add/move/del the systems u have installed, under the boot.ini tab. I guess this will work, although i haven't tried it yet

I know the yamaha is winxp compatible. You might wanna consider a fresh install of xp :( and make sure you have all the windows updates pertaining to cd burning

Taking away the boot option went ok, even if the computer insisted on starting system config on every start up until i clicked the don't show this again option..

I've already tried repairing win xp and install new.

But another thing causing the problem could be that my cd rw is connected via a scsi card. In win98 the OS knew the cd rw was a Yamaha, here it says its a "nero imagedrive scsi cdrom device"

could the scsi be the cause of my problem?

I'm willing to bet the add in card is the source of the problem now that you mention it =/

Probably it i s the scsi, but what the - beep - do I do about it??
:( If there's anything I can do about it, except learn how to use linux... :confused:

not sure...if your main board has a secondary IDE channel use that...or try finding XP drivers for the SCSI card...

i used to have the same problem. I had solved the problem by disabling the DMA on IDE channels. Disabling the DMA and choosing "PIO Only" in primary and secondary ide channels solved my problem. I hope it works for you too.

So far nothing to report. I don't know where you do these disableings...

It's not in in msconfig or in Nero, so where is it? :confused:

Right click on My Computer.
Hardware profiles.
IDE ATA/ATAPI
Secundary IDE channel
Properties
Advance setings
There you go

The scsi card prolly is the culprit if it is a generic. I had a scsi cd-r and was using a generic scsi card, never could get the burner seen. I got a good adaptec 2940 and all problems vanished.
The other post about disabling DMA on this device is a good bet to try b4 getting a new scsi card.

Yammys are XP compatible so it isn't the burner causing the probs.

As for the 2 copies of XP shown at boot, something out of whack there. You can edit the boot.ini folder and take out one of them so you don't have to pick the XP OS to boot but god knows what keys are set in the registry since you obviously installed XP over an XP install.

thom, i got a same cd-rw as yours one (see my sig) but no prob for me.... i'm using xp pro

At first, i having prob with my cdwriter..... nero cant detect it.....
hmm.... forgot y this happenin(happened 6 ~ 7 months ago)...

Yamaha

I have the same CD writer (?SCSI)
It works well with Win XP
You must have a device manager conflict
Also Easy cd creator 5 creates problems with Win XP because of "Direct CD"
try version 5.3 recently issued, which works 100%

make sure when you sleect recorder, you're not selecting the "image recorder" which will make an .ISO or cd image instead of burning it. if you already know of this, then disregard me. }:>

i still don't know why you can't read cd's. i'd reinstall xp. after a total format, that is.

I would go and do a clean install. That might work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back